2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which fan to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which fan to use?

Ok guys, I need to know all your opinions,

most of of you know about my project vehicle. 1995 360 v8 in a 1979 trans -van all factory fuel injection and running awesome ........for now.

Im using a v10 fan clutch with a 9 blade van fan and cooling is excellent! I recently ran interstate 5 here in California through the tejon pass going south known as “the grapevine” it’s a realy grueling 6% grade for 5 1/2 miles and it was 105 degrees outside! Not one problem!

so here’s the question;

the v10 fan is a 7 blade, slightly fatter blades and 21inch diameter

the van fan is 9 blade, slightly smaller blades and 20 inch diameter

both have same pitch. Both have same 4 bolt mounting and are interchangeable on the clutch

as for your opinions........which one would be better?

Viperdave

Old 09-13-2019, 10:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

The more fins the more air it should pull in. Plus you only gain 1in diameter. What I plan to do is install an electric fan in front that will push air when a certain temperature hits and a manual override switch.
So I would go the van fan (that's funny)

Old 09-13-2019, 11:22 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Right off hand I would think the only difference you would notice would be a decrease in fuel mileage with the 9 blade. Since it cools great with the V10 blade, you could try a smaller fan to try for better gas mileage while maintaining a reasonable operating temp going up those hills.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:48 AM
Viperdave
Professional

Don’t have any room left up front for a pusher fan, it’s all taken up by,

radiator
ac condenser
huge trans cooler, as wide as ac condenser and about half the size of radiator
1997 viper oil cooler with #10an fittings
small power steering cooler

i had a twin myradine electric fan system with realy cool aluminum adapter bracket that I made and it sealed around the whole radiator but each fan pulled about 14 amps each! they were realy loud and sucked tons of air through the radiator and coolers but couldn’t afford the 28 amps at idle when they switched on

gas mileage doesn’t concern me, when the magnum engine was carbureted last year my wife and I drove it back east and I kept accurate records of mileage, it’s got a 50 gallon fuel tank and I consistently got between 11 and 13 MPG while switching the overdrive and lock up manually I haven’t realy driven it enough to see if the fuel injection will do any better, I hope so

i think the best fan set up is what I have now, v10 clutch with 9 blade van fan, but when I get time I’ll switch to the 7 blade fan and see if it’s any better or worse , if anything comes out of this thred , at least you truck guys can go get the 9 blade fan out of the bone yards and it will bolt right up and work!!

viperdave

Old 09-14-2019, 01:52 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Viperdave
Don’t have any room left up front for a pusher fan, it’s all taken up by,

radiator
ac condenser
huge trans cooler, as wide as ac condenser and about half the size of radiator
1997 viper oil cooler with #10an fittings
small power steering cooler

i had a twin myradine electric fan system with realy cool aluminum adapter bracket that I made and it sealed around the whole radiator but each fan pulled about 14 amps each! they were realy loud and sucked tons of air through the radiator and coolers but couldn’t afford the 28 amps at idle when they switched on

gas mileage doesn’t concern me, when the magnum engine was carbureted last year my wife and I drove it back east and I kept accurate records of mileage, it’s got a 50 gallon fuel tank and I consistently got between 11 and 13 MPG while switching the overdrive and lock up manually I haven’t realy driven it enough to see if the fuel injection will do any better, I hope so

i think the best fan set up is what I have now, v10 clutch with 9 blade van fan, but when I get time I’ll switch to the 7 blade fan and see if it’s any better or worse , if anything comes out of this thred , at least you truck guys can go get the 9 blade fan out of the bone yards and it will bolt right up and work!!

viperdave
Good cooler setup! If you wanted to go back to the electric fans you could use a 2001 Alternator (just wire in the plug which I did on my 96 Ram. It also made changing the alt faster as you didn't have to worry about the little nuts) and do an amp upgrade. I did on my 01 as I run a winch which made it a 300ish amp alternator!

Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 AM
Viperdave
Professional

I installed a powermaster 200 amp alternator upgrade but it still doesn’t put out enough amps at idle

im toying with another alternator, I worked for rolls Royce/Bentley for about two years after they shut my Chrysler dealer down and I acquired a Bentley alternator off of a 2006 GT, it’s a 300 amp and water Cooled! Just have to custom fit it in, it’s also a monster in size, I’m also running 4 optima yellow top batteries

the two top switches run the 4 battery’s, left bank battery A and B, right bank battery A and B, the lower center switch has all 4 battery’s tied into it and is just an on/off switch so if I have to shut everything down I can store the motorhome without any draw. But still have them all tied in for solar charging I can run any battery or any combination of batteries or shut off two so I can run down two overnight and still start in the morning, all the switching gear is blue sea system stuff, expensive but built to last, the battery switches can handel up to 900 amps each and are sealed to prevent spark, and all those are right behind the drivers seat and all the wires are 1 and 0 gauge welding cable, to top everything off, each positive cable has a 500 amp sealed fuse Incase of an accident or crash the fuses will blow

Last edited by Viperdave; 09-14-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I installed a powermaster 200 amp alternator upgrade but it still doesn’t put out enough amps at idle

im toying with another alternator, I worked for rolls Royce/Bentley for about two years after they shut my Chrysler dealer down and I acquired a Bentley alternator off of a 2006 GT, it’s a 300 amp and water Cooled! Just have to custom fit it in, it’s also a monster in size, I’m also running 4 optima yellow top batteries

the two top switches run the 4 battery’s, left bank battery A and B, right bank battery A and B, the lower center switch has all 4 battery’s tied into it and is just an on/off switch so if I have to shut everything down I can store the motorhome without any draw. But still have them all tied in for solar charging I can run any battery or any combination of batteries or shut off two so I can run down two overnight and still start in the morning, all the switching gear is blue sea system stuff, expensive but built to last, the battery switches can handel up to 900 amps each and are sealed to prevent spark, and all those are right behind the drivers seat and all the wires are 1 and 0 gauge welding cable, to top everything off, each positive cable has a 500 amp sealed fuse Incase of an accident or crash the fuses will blow
With this Alt I can run everything even my 16.5 Warn winch at idle. I believe it is 360amp

Old 09-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Viperdave
Professional

Wow that much amperage, and you did say it was modified right?, ok give me the info again on what year the alternator is, if bolts right up and what harness plug I need, I can get the plug at the boneyard and splice it in. Will the factory pcm controll the voltage? And I’m running a 1995 pcm

also if the amperage was bumped up my modifications, what company did it

sounds like just what I need!..............that’s what this forum is all about, finding stuff that works from people that have actualy done it!

viperdave

Old 09-14-2019, 07:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Wow that much amperage, and you did say it was modified right?, ok give me the info again on what year the alternator is, if bolts right up and what harness plug I need, I can get the plug at the boneyard and splice it in. Will the factory pcm controll the voltage? And I’m running a 1995 pcm

also if the amperage was bumped up my modifications, what company did it

sounds like just what I need!..............that’s what this forum is all about, finding stuff that works from people that have actualy done it!

viperdave
2001 Ram alt and just take the plug with the alt. I just searched "01 Ram high amp alternator rebuild kit" and a bunch of options came up

Old 09-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Viperdave
Professional

Awsome. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Which fan to use?