2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a line on an old 6 pack 440 rebuilt for more horsepower, that I can get for fairly cheap. I would need a throttle body or carb and possibly intake. Considering a FI unit, adapta-kit to mate to the transmission. Another option is just carbing it and maybe running an old truck 4 speed or maybe something different like a newer heavy duty 5 or 6 speed from a Cummins truck.

I'd have to do some motor mounts, but other than that, how hard would it be to make it all work together?

Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,403 Likes on 3,143 Posts

What year truck are you trying to put it into?

Old 12-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 390 Likes on 367 Posts

You can get FI for 6 packs, Controlling it is another story.

http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/products.htm
Fitech also makes them.
https://fitechefi.com/products/39610/

Old 12-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year truck are you trying to put it into?
Two thousand and one.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite

Fitech also makes them.
That's kinda cool! Not really stuck on putting a 6 pack back on it, just having an effective HP delivery system that works for towing, crawling, gets halfway decent mileage, and is cheap. Really, really cheap! How's that for a Christmas wish list?

I'd like to keep my transmission, as it's pretty fresh, and built for extra horsepower. It's nice for idling around and towing as well. I've come to appreciate an auto for 4x4ing.

I'm not even opposed to putting the Corvette engine in, if it can be done with low hassle, and on a reasonable budget, but I think it would make more sense to build a 408, rather than swap transmissions, and adapt everything to fit. The reason I mention the 440, is that I can get a fresh engine set up to make the kind of HP and torque I'm after for pretty cheap. This gives me more room to buy an adapta-kit, and spring for a fuel injection system.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite

Fitech also makes them.
You could buy a Fast/Holley EFI controller for the six pack EFI, I run one on my LS swaper C4 corvette. Tuning was real easy. Way better than making the stock ecm work. You probably even rig up a boost adder. I saw a low miler take out 2016 chevy 5.3L 6L90/tcase on kijji for $3k last week. I'm not sure I want to spend that kinda of money on my $800 gaser truck right now.
Lever, curious on what mods was done to your 46re, now 48re? I've have had a bunch of cummins 47/48re trucks over the years. I'm on my fifth 2nd gen dodge and my 2001 is my first gaser.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:46 PM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You could buy a Fast/Holley EFI controller for the six pack EFI, I run one on my LS swaper C4 corvette. Tuning was real easy. Way better than making the stock ecm work. You probably even rig up a boost adder. I saw a low miler take out 2016 chevy 5.3L 6L90/tcase on kijji for $3k last week. I'm not sure I want to spend that kinda of money on my $800 gaser truck right now.
Lever, curious on what mods was done to your 46re, now 48re? I've have had a bunch of cummins 47/48re trucks over the years. I'm on my fifth 2nd gen dodge and my 2001 is my first gaser.
I hear that the Holley EFI are easy. I'll end up spending some money on it. Got a good deal on the truck a few years back, and thought it would be a good platform for a semi serious 4x4. Has a good interior, and I enjoyed the truck, so I ended up spending enough money to buy it over again when the transmission went. Got a reman transmission from NADP; specified extra friction material, billet torque converter, shift kit, deep pan, and they might have added some extra pixie dust? Called them up for some advice on how much power it can handle, and it's good for 450 lb./ft. of torque. Even 500, but that might be pushing it a bit. It will take it, but I probably wouldn't want to be at that all the time.

I had the rear diff rebuilt and a locker added, after that, then swapped the front for an AAM from a power wagon, put in a decent stereo system with a friend, auxiliary heater, some extra lights, plumbed a slip tank to gravity feed, and just more or less got the truck where I want it. Still some little things that I would like to do, but I have some time and money into it, and don't want to start over at this time...

Kind of considered getting a Cummins truck, but everyone wanted twice as much money for trucks with twice as many miles! Plus it's cold here, and warming it up for 1/2 hour to drive 10 minutes was a consideration. Not to mention the extra weight off road, and front end concerns.

Last edited by Tactical Lever; 12-02-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The older cummins trucks take forever to heat up in the winter, I'm an Alberta boy as well. I remember have my 02 run for four days straight when I work up in Fort Mac (-48 C each and everyday). Just keep adding fuel.

My 01 green gas gobbler needs no warm-up and runs on cheap company fuel. I like the truck, but for hard wheel'in you might want eight lug nuts instead of five. The half ton axles are punny but should handle the stock power of a mighty 318. I think I have a broken rear leaf spring as one side is lower by 2 inch. Its my winter beater that I daily drive. I own a newer cummins one ton for pullin my RV.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

The older cummins trucks take forever to heat up in the winter, I'm an Alberta boy as well. I remember have my 02 run for four days straight when I work up in Fort Mac (-48 C each and everyday). Just keep adding fuel.

My 01 green gas gobbler needs no warm-up and runs on cheap company fuel. I like the truck, but for hard wheel'in you might want eight lug nuts instead of five. The half ton axles are punny but should handle the stock power of a mighty 318. I think I have a broken rear leaf spring as one side is lower by 2 inch. Its my winter beater that I daily drive. I own a newer cummins one ton for pullin my RV.
If it's the drivers side that is from the gas tank they call it "The Dodge Lean" the half to axles can handle no bigger then 35s if Wheeling hard but can handle about 750hp and about 550tq. Surprisingly the half ton annoyed handle my 40s really good and I do heavy off-road

Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 AM
Tactical Lever
Rookie

My truck isn't a half ton. It's the mighty 2500; half the reason I bought it was the solid front axle. 8 lug. Well, technically I'm down to 7 on one side... Spare lugs in the door pocket.. Have a broken spring in the rear as well. Running (well not quite!) on 35x12.5 right now, with maybe a bit of room to go a little taller. Wouldn't mind freshening things up with a bit more spring in the back, and maybe a couple more inches up front as well. Next time I get tires, I'd like to go to 37x13.5 or 38" and slightly more aggressive than the Hankook Dynapro M/T tires. Not that they haven't been really good all arounders with good mud performance...

Quick Reply: Budget 5.9 Magnum build..err?...