2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear end bouncing after new shoes and drums

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
its for sure only when I’m even the slightest chance hard on the brakes. If I step on them slightly it’s ok but not if I have to step on them hard.

https://imgur.com/a/BqXcJmK
https://imgur.com/a/NS2zMa2
Well, that certainly looks correct.

I might be tempted to have the drums turned a bit, just to see if they are out of round...... When I was doing this kind of thing for a living, I would turn rotors/drums just because, as I hated doing jobs twice..... and heaven only knows how long those fellers have been sitting on a shelf......

Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Hero6
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A while back someone had a brake issue where their new shoes wouldn't fit the drums, ended up being that the shoes had a manufacturing error or something along those lines, if your drums check out to be fine, may want to look at getting another set of shoes to try, maybe a different brand. Longshot, but may be a problem with the proportioning valve, just tossing ideas out there...

Old 11-01-2019, 04:25 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you turn the star adjuster by hand in and out all the way? Grease works wonder on the parts to keep them free. You can adjust the brakes through an oblong hole on the back of the backing plate, might still have the rubber plug in it. Look through the hole with a light and you'll see the star adjuster. With a brake shoe adjustment tool, makes it easier than a flathead screwdriver, turn the star, up or down for adjustment. The star adjusters are L/R specific. I'm going with an out of round brake drum.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:02 AM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
Can you turn the star adjuster by hand in and out all the way? Grease works wonder on the parts to keep them free. You can adjust the brakes through an oblong hole on the back of the backing plate, might still have the rubber plug in it. Look through the hole with a light and you'll see the star adjuster. With a brake shoe adjustment tool, makes it easier than a flathead screwdriver, turn the star, up or down for adjustment. The star adjusters are L/R specific. I'm going with an out of round brake drum.
its a little tight, I’m going to grease everything up.

It’s been a rough week money wise with this truck! Fuel pump went out yesterday so I had to work on that all day. Today I’m going to get new front brakes and bearings, I can’t find the torque specs for the hub nut?
it’s a 99 5.2 2wd. I keep seeing 165 foot lbs but that’s way too tight, darn thing won’t move when i try to spin it

Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I found for the front wheel bearings for a96 Ram 1500

Should be about the same for your truck

Old 11-03-2019, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

I think the 99 has unit bearings even on the two wheel drive trucks. So, 165 to 185 ft/lbs.....

Old 11-03-2019, 11:15 AM
leftfield
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm following along on this and just to give everyone some background I'm 57 and have been messing with vehicles on and off for a long time and I know just enough to be dangerous, lol. My situation started with my front brakes and I know I'll need new pads and rotors in that case. They are not worn out but one rotor has grooves in it from when a previous caliper failed and stuck on causing the pad to wear into the rotor a bit. It started small the front end would shake and shudder when braking, all front end stuff is tight except for the front shocks as I haven't checked them yet. I had intended to do the front shocks thinking this might be the problem and if it wasn't then I would do the pads and rotors. Then about ten days ago the back end started jumping, a little at first and now more. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it all of the time. I changed the shocks on it yesterday to some Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and to be honest I don't think the ones that I took out were worn out but I guess we'll see. I was leaving for hunting about 4 weeks back and had adjusted my rear brakes, they were a little out and I adjusted them until I could just feel them dragging with no problem turning them at all. On the trip when coming down some of the long hills the front end would shudder like crazy as if it were bouncing off the bumps that the big semi's leave when they brake but the back end was fine. It's a mystery to me. I hope when we all get to the end of this we'll be able to help and give the answers to the next guy.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by leftfield
I'm following along on this and just to give everyone some background I'm 57 and have been messing with vehicles on and off for a long time and I know just enough to be dangerous, lol. My situation started with my front brakes and I know I'll need new pads and rotors in that case. They are not worn out but one rotor has grooves in it from when a previous caliper failed and stuck on causing the pad to wear into the rotor a bit. It started small the front end would shake and shudder when braking, all front end stuff is tight except for the front shocks as I haven't checked them yet. I had intended to do the front shocks thinking this might be the problem and if it wasn't then I would do the pads and rotors. Then about ten days ago the back end started jumping, a little at first and now more. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it all of the time. I changed the shocks on it yesterday to some Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and to be honest I don't think the ones that I took out were worn out but I guess we'll see. I was leaving for hunting about 4 weeks back and had adjusted my rear brakes, they were a little out and I adjusted them until I could just feel them dragging with no problem turning them at all. On the trip when coming down some of the long hills the front end would shudder like crazy as if it were bouncing off the bumps that the big semi's leave when they brake but the back end was fine. It's a mystery to me. I hope when we all get to the end of this we'll be able to help and give the answers to the next guy.
Sounds like a warped front rotor or rotors

Old 11-03-2019, 02:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by leftfield

That's how I've learned over the years. The really obscure problems are just plain interesting and you can usually use that knowledge later.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the rear locking up once and I noticed it before I left the driveway because I heard it dig into the gravel. Mine was a blown wheel cylinder that got brake fluid on the pads.
You said you adjusted the rears until you hear them touch with no resistance on the wheel. I adjust mine until they grab the drum then back them off until I don't hear them touching anymore, I do this with the tire on so the drum is held down tight.

Quick Reply: Rear end bouncing after new shoes and drums