2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine not reaching operating temperature, no heat in cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 08:32 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine not reaching operating temperature, no heat in cab

99 1500 5.2 4WD

Just replaced radiator, top and bottom and bypass hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, and antifreeze. Did a reverse "gravity flush" on heater core(cuz I live in an apartment with no access to a garden hose). Water ran dirty out of the heater core, then ran clean, after which I poured 50/50 coolant into the funnel until it pushed all of the clear water put of the "in" heater hose. On the 1st running of the engine after all of this, the engine reached operating temperature, thermostat opened and the engine temperature dropped, just as one would expect. Checked the coolant level, added more coolant, as it only took a little over 2 gallons at first. That was on Tuesday. Wednesday morning drove to work(about 15 minutes)after letting it "warm up" for about 30 minutes. Engine won't reach operating temperature and there's no heat in the cab. It's worth noting that I didn't exactly have the truck on much of an incline when adding coolant. I feel like there's probably air stuck in the heater core. I also feel like it doesn't have enough coolant in it, yet, despite the reservoir showing full. It's a 5 gallon system that's taken about 2.5 gallons.

Possible that there's an air bubble the size of 2.5 gallons of coolant? Should I jack the front end up so that it's on an incline and run it?

Didn't think to feel the heater hoses, with the engine running, to see if they're warm/hot, until I read some threads here. Gonna check the coolant level this morning, and run the engine to see if the heater hoses get warm. I truly would rather have a mouthful of root canals than to have to replace the heater core!

Please help, Dodge experts!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CubbyBlue1500
99 1500 5.2 4WD

Just replaced radiator, top and bottom and bypass hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, and antifreeze. Did a reverse "gravity flush" on heater core(cuz I live in an apartment with no access to a garden hose). Water ran dirty out of the heater core, then ran clean, after which I poured 50/50 coolant into the funnel until it pushed all of the clear water put of the "in" heater hose. On the 1st running of the engine after all of this, the engine reached operating temperature, thermostat opened and the engine temperature dropped, just as one would expect. Checked the coolant level, added more coolant, as it only took a little over 2 gallons at first. That was on Tuesday. Wednesday morning drove to work(about 15 minutes)after letting it "warm up" for about 30 minutes. Engine won't reach operating temperature and there's no heat in the cab. It's worth noting that I didn't exactly have the truck on much of an incline when adding coolant. I feel like there's probably air stuck in the heater core. I also feel like it doesn't have enough coolant in it, yet, despite the reservoir showing full. It's a 5 gallon system that's taken about 2.5 gallons.

Possible that there's an air bubble the size of 2.5 gallons of coolant? Should I jack the front end up so that it's on an incline and run it?

Didn't think to feel the heater hoses, with the engine running, to see if they're warm/hot, until I read some threads here. Gonna check the coolant level this morning, and run the engine to see if the heater hoses get warm. I truly would rather have a mouthful of root canals than to have to replace the heater core!

Please help, Dodge experts!
99% of the time it is an air pocket. What kind of thermostat did you install and what temp?

Old 10-17-2019, 08:55 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
99% of the time it is an air pocket. What kind of thermostat did you install and what temp?
Duralast thermostat 195*

Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CubbyBlue1500
Duralast thermostat 195*
So it's not a fail safe. More likely an air pocket but could be a bad thermostat

Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Do you hear any gurgling from the dash board? My '01 never gave me trouble but a '94 I had took forever to get all the air out. Since you have really dirty water, it's also possible a piece of calcium got in the plate on the thermostat and is holding it open. How many miles on the engine? While not likely, it is possible the timing jumped a tooth. It will still run but won't get very warm. I'm thinking an air bubble is more likely. On my '94 I had to "burp" the radiator into the overflow a few times. I guess it's better than the other end though.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:54 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Do you hear any gurgling from the dash board? My '01 never gave me trouble but a '94 I had took forever to get all the air out. Since you have really dirty water, it's also possible a piece of calcium got in the plate on the thermostat and is holding it open. How many miles on the engine? While not likely, it is possible the timing jumped a tooth. It will still run but won't get very warm. I'm thinking an air bubble is more likely. On my '94 I had to "burp" the radiator into the overflow a few times. I guess it's better than the other end though.
122K miles. Water was INCREDIBLY dirty. I didn't drain the block because the plugs are rusted and very tight. I didn't wanna bust the heads off. Everything else was drained, reservoir cleaned out, heater core reverse gravity flushed.

This morning I drove it up onto the sidewalk to give it more incline(see attachment...enough incline?). Pumped the bottom hose with the engine running and got some air out. It's been running for nearly an hour and the temperature won't go any higher than what you see in the picture. Top hise is warm to the touch. Bottom hose is ice cold. Both heater hoses are warm.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
At one point yesterday I heard a gurgling under the dash(passenger side). Gurgled a couple times then stopped. Hasn't gurgled since.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

So it's not a fail safe. More likely an air pocket but could be a bad thermostat
No. Definitely not a failsafe.

This morning I drove it up onto the sidewalk to give it more incline(see attachment...enough incline?). Pumped the bottom hose with the engine running and got some air out. It's been running for nearly an hour and the temperature won't go any higher than what you see in the picture. Top hise is warm to the touch. Bottom hose is ice cold. Both heater hoses are warm.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2019, 12:18 PM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie

Just noticed a small amount of coolant on the thermostat housing. Not enough to run over the lip of the bottom of the housing, but it's there. Perhaps a crack in the housing or a tear in the gasket? Could this be the source of the air in the system?

Old 10-17-2019, 12:36 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The duralast probably opened the first time and stuck open. Get a Gates or a Stant Superstat. Take the cap off and see if there is a hole for the hose to the overflow tank. I had to drill the hole on the radiator I bought. They glued the hose barb on, but didn't drill the hole.

Quick Reply: Engine not reaching operating temperature, no heat in cab