2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Negative Camber, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 PM
FakeLamearie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Negative Camber, what to do?

Hello RAM drivers alike! I've got some quarrels with my Ram 1500. It's got horrible negative camber, and quite bad steering slop. So far, I've replaced the following to try to remedy this:
-Lower/Upper Ball joints on both sides
-Outer tie rods on both sides, inner tie rod on Driver side (Note, I have Pitman/Idler arm steering. 2WD)
-All 4 shocks aswell on the truck.

So, here's my issue. I don't know where to look next for camber. I've been told to get it aligned- but when I do I'm told that I simply need an entirely new front end and they can't do an alignment until everything is new, or that they can't do it because it's too old. Where should I look next? I'm wearing down tires and honestly I feel extremely defeated that I'm still messing with this stupid camber almost 3 years fighting this truck.
Upon asking shops their solution is to simply replace everything and have an alignment done after, but as I've been shown even replacing exactly what they say they need fixed isn't enough.

I'm thinking possibly checking my wheel hub nut and seeing if it's loose? I heard that it can contribute to negative camber if it's loose on the spindle.

Some more information for you guys, there's a overall in-spec tow which has the truck pull to the right, the left tire is towed right as is the right tire, and the camber is out of whack.
What say y'all?

Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

What year is your truck? Any slop in the front wheel bearings? Do you have the unit bearings? Or the easily replaceable fellers?

Wearing the inside of the tires? Not just toe out of spec, is it?

How are the control arm bushings?

Old 10-17-2019, 08:09 PM
FakeLamearie

Truck year is 1998, I was told that there was the tiniest bit of front wheel bearing play when I went to get it inspected, though the guy told me it isn't a huge issue. Though now I'm looking at everything, it probably is part of the problem. If it makes any sense, I have the bearings where the rotor and wheel bearing are one unit.

Control Arm Bushings are probably shot, 126 thousand miles in Illinois weather has them looking pretty rough. I was looking at those next, It's just I know there's a certain way you have to remove/install. Not to mention I've always been afraid of decompressing my springs, do you think those could be next?

In addition, yes. Wearing on inside of tires bad. Worse on the left than on the right.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Jack up the front, and wiggle the tires. See how much play you have there. Basically, any play at all in the bearings means they are bad. (but, they usually growl as well.....)

How is camber adjusted on yours? (My desktop that had the service manuals on it died, I am waiting for parts to resurrect it......) A pic of the front suspension would be good.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:29 PM
FakeLamearie

The play that is present there, is all steering play (Which I'm trying to replace as the cash flow comes in), and the up and down play is minimal. Should I go to replacing bearings then?

As far as camber goes- I'm not sure. I wasn't aware there was a way to do that. Most likely through the upper control arm bolts. I'll check and take a picture for ya )

Old 10-18-2019, 07:58 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You can't align a vehicle with loose wheel bearings. Think about it. If it has play, it can and does move. So, where you did your measurements will change as you're driving, because the loose bearing let's the tire toe in and out while you're driving. The camber will also change as you're hitting bumps. Radial tires are fairly tolerant to camber being off a little. If you have A arms, I think camber is adjusted with shims between the frame and the mounting points of the A arm. If you have worn components, they are correct that it can't be aligned. As soon as you move the truck, the worn parts will allow movement and the alignment will be off.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:25 AM
FakeLamearie

Originally Posted by 2bit
You can't align a vehicle with loose wheel bearings. Think about it. If it has play, it can and does move. So, where you did your measurements will change as you're driving, because the loose bearing let's the tire toe in and out while you're driving. The camber will also change as you're hitting bumps. Radial tires are fairly tolerant to camber being off a little. If you have A arms, I think camber is adjusted with shims between the frame and the mounting points of the A arm. If you have worn components, they are correct that it can't be aligned. As soon as you move the truck, the worn parts will allow movement and the alignment will be off.
@HeyYou So to the both of you, wheel bearings. and control arms/bushings?

Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would check both, and see what the look like. If they are sloppy, at all, replace them.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:00 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, check both and replace what's loose. You may be able to tighten the wheel bearings.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2bit
Yes, check both and replace what's loose. You may be able to tighten the wheel bearings.
Nah, he has unit bearings. (pretty sure....) If they are sloppy, replacement is the only option.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (10-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Bad Negative Camber, what to do?