2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine randomly cuts out, lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:22 AM
potentshadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Going to try! It could mean a few things. Not getting spark or fuel or both. I can't see the pics if they are any
Forum isn't letting me post the image but here is a link https://i.imgur.com/fvqAdc6.jpg

They don't look all that bad.. just odd. If it wasn't getting fuel, my thought might be the injectors because they're OEM and I have not cleaned them or run any cleaner through them. Maybe gunked up.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

From looking at the pic, the center electrode looks REALLY tiny. Those aren't some variety of rare-earth plug are they? (platinum, iridium, et. al.)

Compression may be something else you want to check on number 8.... Usually, consistent #8 misfires is indicative of a cat on its way out.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That pic really shows a lot, as in that is probably the wrong spark plug. I can't believe that any 2nd generation Ram uses that type of spark plug. I would suggest these:https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ASP5...ut=spark+plugs

Last edited by Torxhead; 12-05-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:51 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
From looking at the pic, the center electrode looks REALLY tiny. Those aren't some variety of rare-earth plug are they? (platinum, iridium, et. al.)

Compression may be something else you want to check on number 8.... Usually, consistent #8 misfires is indicative of a cat on its way out.
Thanks for the help! Oh fun! At least that's something I think I can manage. I'll see about getting that tested, or look online to find an easy guide. These are the spark-plugs I have: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1314563&jsn=18
These are Platinum I believe. Do our trucks not like the new plugs?

Thanks Torx, I think its because they're Platinum.

I know copper does not last as long, but if it works better for our trucks then I will stick with those.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

These trucks hate the rare-earth plugs. (platinum, iridium, unobtanium, etc.) Change 'em out for some good copper plugs. (I used NGK, and they seem to work just fine.) Then see how many of your misfires just go away.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:38 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
These trucks hate the rare-earth plugs. (platinum, iridium, unobtanium, etc.) Change 'em out for some good copper plugs. (I used NGK, and they seem to work just fine.) Then see how many of your misfires just go away.
Afternoon guys!

So payday finally came and I ran right over to pick up some NGK V-power copper plugs. Pulled the battery and replaced all the plug wires as well. Reset the PCM. The PCV valve on the valve body was rattling so I replaced that as well.

Truck ran really good for a day, not all of the power came back but enough to say feel a major improvement.

Day two the truck started getting a little more sluggish. No codes and no misfires that I could hear or feel.

Day three, while driving CEL came on and the truck starting bucking and stuttering, never shut off. Pulled into a parking lot and went to grab my reader, I turned the truck off like a moron. Somehow there were no codes and the truck fired right back up with no issues or bucking and no CEL.

Day 4 (I swear I can't make this up) between 20 and 60MPH it sounds like small popcorn kernels popping rapidly. Kind of like a rapid crackle. While driving I decided to hook up the OBD reader and lo and behold a pending code appeared "P0133 - 02 Sensor bank 1 sensor 1 slow response"

I am going to check the wires when I get home to make sure nothing is damaged, which I highly doubt. Probably just a bad sensor I would guess right?

Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me when i got my truck, Its a crankshaft position sensor. It never gave me a code for it either.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:23 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by KillerLemming
Exact same thing happened to me when i got my truck, Its a crankshaft position sensor. It never gave me a code for it either.
No kidding? This would be the third crankshaft position sensor I have installed. The last one just about 3 weeks ago I think I had the dealership install a “mopar” unit. It didn’t say mopar when I looked at it though so I will make sure in my invoice. I’d be a little upset lol.

So yours also crackled and such? Might be two entirely different issues I am having. I did get a pending code for an o2 sensor I have not seen before. HeyYou said it might also be a clogged cat and honestly it’s the factory one so I still have yet to research how to test for a bad cat.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Since you are getting an O2 code anyway..... Physically remove the sensor from the exhaust, and go for a drive. See if it runs better. It will be louder....... If it runs fine, with no side issues, then the cat really becomes suspect.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:36 AM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be an o2 sensor. As for the crackling, I never heard it.

Quick Reply: Engine randomly cuts out, lights stay on