2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine randomly cuts out, lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 12:33 AM
potentshadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Where did you get the meaning of that code?

P0320 No Crank Reference Signal at PCM
Honestly, I had limped the truck to autozone. Autozones are around here just as much as Dollar generals. I had them use their code reader. Printed a sheet of paper for me as I didn’t have my reader with me.

I fought my better judgment to have the parts swapped and opted to just purchase one through the dealership, as I should have done to begin with.

Yours definitely makes a lot more sense. Lol.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

That P1682 code has me wondering....... Wonder if there is just a bad connection somewhere.

Yeah, put a real Mopar crank sensor in there, clear all the codes, and see what happens.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:50 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Hey guys quick update! Took her into the dealership and had them put a mopar CPS in. Seems to have resolved my random shut off problem. Does not seem to stall from reverse to drive either anymore which is awesome.

As my luck would have it while I was driving away from the dealership, Right as I got up to 40MPH the truck started to shake, as if both my front tires had just popped and I heard the truck back fire several times. No codes.

It does this every time now, I have found that if I press on the gas below 30 so that the RPMs get to about 2.5 I can get through 40-50 with no shaking and no back fires. 60+ feels fine although there is a slight.. grinding feeling under my legs. I don’t know how to describe it better other than it almost feels like a bearing grinding but I just replaced those and had them checked again.

I also noticed that during the shaking if I hit the gas it hesitates to go but will eventually kick up and stop shaking. It will also occasionally let me feather the gas pedal just light enough to cruise through 40-50 MPH.

One more thing, I know it’s difficult to reciprocate my appreciation on a forum via text but I am confident without yalls help my truck would not be on the road today. I explained in a previous thread that this is way more than a truck to me. Some guys haul trees and rock and some haul 4-wheelers and if she breaks it’s on to the next one. To me, at least for the moment is the only way I can get to a paycheck. So thank you.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Sounds like you have a misfire

Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Sounds like you have a misfire
Yea feels like it’s definitely mis-fire but no codes yet and I am not sure why it would be..

hows your truck coming mopar?

Old 12-01-2019, 06:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by potentshadow
Yea feels like it’s definitely mis-fire but no codes yet and I am not sure why it would be..

hows your truck coming mopar?
It could be anything lol At a halt getting deployed on the 9th. I am going to try to finish my write up on a custom triangular 4 link front end so there will be no more panhard bar and no more death wobble

Old 12-01-2019, 06:10 PM
potentshadow
Professional

It could be anything lol At a halt getting deployed on the 9th. I am going to try to finish my write up on a custom triangular 4 link front end so there will be no more panhard bar and no more death wobble
Damn man! Overseas? That’s crazy what branch?

and yea I know I am going to pull plugs and stuff see what I got going on. Hoping she throws codes soon so I can maybe track it down a little easier lol.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Damn man! Overseas? That’s crazy what branch?

and yea I know I am going to pull plugs and stuff see what I got going on. Hoping she throws codes soon so I can maybe track it down a little easier lol.
Yep Marines

Theses trucks either are too picky and throw codes or don't care and won't throw codes

Old 12-04-2019, 10:13 PM
potentshadow
Professional

Yep Marines

Theses trucks either are too picky and throw codes or don't care and won't throw codes
Man please stay safe! Let us know how everything is going and check in from time to time.

@everyone
So I finally received some codes. Standard P0300, Cylinder 5,7,8 and occasionally 4 are misfiring. I see 8 every time. The others sometimes disappear. Got around to pulling the plug on number 8. This is what it looks like, I realized I said the plugs are new but they actually have 10K almost on the dime. I'm curious as to why I am seeing rust though, as water does not get into this bay. They're super dry and I have just driven the truck today and let it sit for about 3.5 hours to let the engine cool. Does this mean I am not getting fuel to this plug? Would this be enough to cause cylinder misfires?

Old 12-05-2019, 09:42 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Man please stay safe! Let us know how everything is going and check in from time to time.

@everyone
So I finally received some codes. Standard P0300, Cylinder 5,7,8 and occasionally 4 are misfiring. I see 8 every time. The others sometimes disappear. Got around to pulling the plug on number 8. This is what it looks like, I realized I said the plugs are new but they actually have 10K almost on the dime. I'm curious as to why I am seeing rust though, as water does not get into this bay. They're super dry and I have just driven the truck today and let it sit for about 3.5 hours to let the engine cool. Does this mean I am not getting fuel to this plug? Would this be enough to cause cylinder misfires?

Going to try! It could mean a few things. Not getting spark or fuel or both. I can't see the pics if they are any

Quick Reply: Engine randomly cuts out, lights stay on