2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 5.2 auto with 46re trans shifting back and forth from 3-4th gear !

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 09:57 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I was working on something else in that pic ..just a reference pic to see the entire area

The following users liked this post:
2001RamGuy (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 04:58 PM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Xombi & everyone

Originally Posted by Xombi
Is shifting back and forth between third and forth a shifting issue? Pressure, or PCM? If you have a pressure leak the information fed to the pcm may cause hunting.
Mechanical (seals,valves) and electro mechanical (solenoid, pressure sensors) fail before electronic.
I've been using DEOXIT to clean up the green death on contact points (a mechanical connection) in older vehicles. Pricey, but it seems to work.
Blast it first with brake clean, then air and a drib of Deoxit. A guy who repairs tube amps told me about it.
There is a little fluid (not extreme) leaking out around the Electrical plug or socket just below/behind the shift rod that connects to the linkage.. Could that little leak cause a drop in internal system pressure enough to cause it to keep jumping back & forth from 3rd & 4th under heavy aggressive acceleration ?? Thanks All
appreciate everything. I cannot afford to put my old Girl in a shop at this time so somehow or another I have to figure this out..
I wish i had a garage or it wasn’t winter I’d rip it apart again right now.. Thanks

Old 12-20-2019, 05:09 PM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Retired Tech Friend Says

He says.... Just buy this kit throw it in & all fixed. But if it’s only a $20 accumulator spring or my little leak I don’t want to spend hundreds of $$ i unfortunately don’t have at the moment. :-(

It’s a $300 gamble 😬

The following users liked this post:
hidden1 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

More likely the o rings on the plug are tired.
Assess the life of your front band by how much of the bolt is sticking out after correctly adjusting it. 30 minute job. Embrace cheap, simple and doable until you are carried off by Charlese Thereon. It's a first step in judging your transmission's useful life. If it's flush with the case lock nut, or close, you need to start saving pesos.
I threw in solenoids first, (the kit pictured) before adjusting, a mistake. When I dropped my pan it was clear by the metal it was toast. Your speed sensor in the rear is magnetic, remove that and look for metal before dropping pan. Sensor is magnetic and will pick up metal.
Adjust, inspect speed sensor, see what happens, then drop pan and see what you have to spend

Last edited by Xombi; 12-20-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: concise
Old 12-20-2019, 05:59 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Pull the pan an see if any broken ring pieces are in it ,mine had it..That kit in other pic is a good option since sensors an that spring are a common issue on these .That big spring is easy to replace,not much on cost an worth checking 1st..mine was in 3 pieces an after 2nd to 3rd shift it was having issues. .I guess there was low pressure[not high] from a busted accumulator spring.

Any CEL?
Other pic -was in my pan from overdrive problem along with that shifting/accumulator spring that busted .

Shop tried to say you need a entire transmission rebuild..lol
Still going strong a year later !

Last edited by hidden1; 12-20-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 5.2 auto with 46re trans shifting back and forth from 3-4th gear !