2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram charger no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 03:56 PM
mbeavy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ram charger no start

i have a 98 ramcharger that won't start on cold days. It won't turn over at all if it's cold in the morning. I have plenty of battery, but it won't crank. I leave it all day, after work when its warmer i turn the key and it cranks right over and starts. I live in Minnesota, so this is a real problem. Every day same thing, nothing in the morning, let it sit as temp climbs abit, after work it turns right over. Any ideas? I'm stumped, please help

Old 12-15-2019, 04:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

can you hear the starter solenoid click when it doesn't want to turn? if so i would guess you might have a bad contact in the starter solenoid.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:38 PM
mbeavy

no, i don't hear any clicking, either at the solenoid, or at the starter

Old 12-15-2019, 07:24 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have confirmed that the battery is good, then check the connections as that is next in line. On my V10, which can be tough to turn over also, I use brass battery terminals, got the positive cable as short as I can and added a ground cable from the starter to the battery negative. The starter sucks a lot of juice so it needs all the help it can get, especially when its cold. After that you need to confirm the volts and amp load to the starter when you turn the key.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by mbeavy
i have a 98 ramcharger that won't start on cold days. It won't turn over at all if it's cold in the morning. I have plenty of battery, but it won't crank. I leave it all day, after work when its warmer i turn the key and it cranks right over and starts. I live in Minnesota, so this is a real problem. Every day same thing, nothing in the morning, let it sit as temp climbs abit, after work it turns right over. Any ideas? I'm stumped, please help

I don't think I've ever seen a Ram Charger built that late in the U.S. Did you get one from Mexico? Is it a Dodge Ram or a '93 or earlier Ram Charger?

Old 12-15-2019, 10:21 PM
mbeavy

it's a 1998 dodge ram charger 1500

Old 12-15-2019, 10:24 PM
mbeavy

that's just it, when it's cold I don't think anything is getting to the starter when I turn the key, when it warms up it cranks immediately

Old 12-16-2019, 01:43 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would start with something simple like swapping the starter relay. should be able to swap it out with the a/c relay or one of the other relays in the fuse panel for testing purposes.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:07 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by mbeavy
that's just it, when it's cold I don't think anything is getting to the starter when I turn the key, when it warms up it cranks immediately

Since it's temperature specific, I'd check the grounds. Especially at the frame end of the ground cable. Also, if there are any firewall to engine grounds, make sure those are good too. I'm assuming the lights and everything work normally, it just won't engage the starter.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 372 Likes on 350 Posts

it's a 1998 dodge ram charger 1500
The "charger" was not on any dodge truck back then. At least in the states. Do you have a pic?

i would start with something simple like swapping the starter relay.
I second this, If you hear it "click"then you can start diagnosing where the problem is.

https://blog.consumerguide.com/too-s...ge-ramcharger/

Quick Reply: 98 ram charger no start