2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:11 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree its a design problem. independent front suspension vehicles don't get this.

I had one customer come in with a brand new 3500 (with 20 000kilometers) saying its happening when he pull heavy loads. We can't duplicate it as he brings it with no trailer. We took his lift kit out; he says it still happens. Everything is new...no worn parts. Changed out the good new parts...no change. riddle me that!

Last edited by primem; 01-23-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
I agree its a design problem. independent front suspension vehicles don't get this.

I had one customer come in with a brand new 3500 (with 20 000kilometers) saying its happening when he pull heavy loads. We can't duplicate it as he brings it with no trailer. We took his lift kit out; he says it still happens. Everything is new...no worn parts. Changed out the good new parts...no change. riddle me that!
Have him bring it in in the condition that the problem presents itself...... Otherwise, you are just shooting in the dark.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:07 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Death wobble can affect any straight axle vehicle using a track bar. What I don't understand is why not switch to a triangular 4 link. It gives a better ride and better flex. IFS doesn't get this because the suspension is bolted to the frame (can't move). When summer comes and I get free time I'm going to do a 4 link on my 01 (already did on my 96)

Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

An SFA is not a design problem. If anything the problem with DW is either worn parts, insufficient positive caster, or a weak steering stabilizer.

Yes, yes, technically a stabilizer is a band-aid but a great many OEM's use it (and actually quite successfully) to combat DW.

There are cams on the LCAs, dial the caster another degree. If you've maxed out adjustment, it's time to start looking to aftermarket solutions or fabbing things, ie drop brackets for the LCAs or longer arms.

My coil sprung SuperDuty also had DW, only with a trailer behind it. It makes perfect sense because it removes weight from the front wheels, allowing them to "flutter" around more easily. In my case a new Bilstein stabilizer eliminated it completely, but BD Diesel offers a kit to permanently add caster to those front ends. While the Mopar front end is slightly different, the basic principles of alignment with an SFA remain the same.

Those wishing for IFS.........be careful what you wish for. Much like a manual transmission, an SFA has distinct advantages, but fewer and fewer people are able to appreciate them as time goes on.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:48 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
An SFA is not a design problem. If anything the problem with DW is either worn parts, insufficient positive caster, or a weak steering stabilizer.

Yes, yes, technically a stabilizer is a band-aid but a great many OEM's use it (and actually quite successfully) to combat DW.

There are cams on the LCAs, dial the caster another degree. If you've maxed out adjustment, it's time to start looking to aftermarket solutions or fabbing things, ie drop brackets for the LCAs or longer arms.

My coil sprung SuperDuty also had DW, only with a trailer behind it. It makes perfect sense because it removes weight from the front wheels, allowing them to "flutter" around more easily. In my case a new Bilstein stabilizer eliminated it completely, but BD Diesel offers a kit to permanently add caster to those front ends. While the Mopar front end is slightly different, the basic principles of alignment with an SFA remain the same.

Those wishing for IFS.........be careful what you wish for. Much like a manual transmission, an SFA has distinct advantages, but fewer and fewer people are able to appreciate them as time goes on.
I love SFA hate IFS. The SFA isn't the problem it's the suspension system. Why rely on a single bar to hold the axle side to side when you could have 2 solid bars to do it.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:18 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

sfa is great for loading...no toe change with ride height change so no irregular tire wear. my 2500 gmc ifs ride so much smoother over bumps....my 2500 ram is a lumber wagon.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:29 AM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Track bar on my lifted GC. About every Month had to tighten it up on the axle. The mounting bracket hole wallows out. Get a couple body washers and weld on, even if it isn't broke.

Quick Reply: Death wobble