2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 PM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ignition replacement?

Hi all, long story short, my ‘96 2500 was stolen a couple years back, the thieves popped, and replaced the ignition, and one door lock. Is there any way to revert/recode the ignition, and door lock to factory standards? In other words, can someone re-create the original switch, and lock from either the key, or original door lock? Thank you.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
Hi all, long story short, my ‘96 2500 was stolen a couple years back, the thieves popped, and replaced the ignition, and one door lock. Is there any way to revert/recode the ignition, and door lock to factory standards? In other words, can someone re-create the original switch, and lock from either the key, or original door lock? Thank you.
Would have to remove both to get them re-keyed. A good locksmith good pick the ignition for you

Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Would have to remove both to get them re-keyed. A good locksmith good pick the ignition for you
“Rekeyed” as in new key, or current key?

Old 01-26-2020, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

You bring them the key you want to work, and the two lock cylinders, and any decent locksmith can make it happen. Probably not too hideously expensive either.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You bring them the key you want to work, and the two lock cylinders, and any decent locksmith can make it happen. Probably not too hideously expensive either.
Gotcha, thank you. I called, and they said they could. Fairly cheap. $300 for ignition, and lock. It gets annoying to unlock manually. The truck does have power locks, but they don’t work. I just hear a “whirring” noise when I toggle the switch.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Liddlez
Gotcha, thank you. I called, and they said they could. Fairly cheap. $300 for ignition, and lock. It gets annoying to unlock manually. The truck does have power locks, but they don’t work. I just hear a “whirring” noise when I toggle the switch.
That's high I paid $30 for my two door locks. Sounds like the actuator is bad

Old 01-27-2020, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

The ignition lock cylinder you need to get from the dealer if you want it to match your original key. There is no way to take apart and put back together the cylinder the way it's made. A better option is to get a cylinder from a later truck(98) i believe they made the cylinder different so you can do it. The door cylinder i'm not sure about.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:50 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
The ignition lock cylinder you need to get from the dealer if you want it to match your original key. There is no way to take apart and put back together the cylinder the way it's made. A better option is to get a cylinder from a later truck(98) i believe they made the cylinder different so you can do it. The door cylinder i'm not sure about.
96 and door locks can be done had them done on my 96 and 01. Hate having different keys

Quick Reply: Ignition replacement?