2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 Coil Pack Specs

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 07:51 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So when I went to test my packs, I forgot to compensate for the resistance of my leads which was about 0.3. Then I got to reading and discovered you cant get a very accurate reading below 1 ohm with a regular old multi-meter. So for now I'm gonna say my packs are ok. Got a new scanner on the way and gonna see if it wants to tell me anything. If it doesn't, might break and take it to a shop. At this point the wanting to know what it is bothers me more than the misfire.

Oh, and i'm also not relying on my vacuum gauge. Needle is acting crazy at times and then I can get it to steady at other times. Time for a new one I think

Last edited by racefan41; 03-12-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

What do you have to do to get it to steady out? If applying a bit of gas does it..... I think that was worn valve guides.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:07 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What do you have to do to get it to steady out? If applying a bit of gas does it..... I think that was worn valve guides.
All it took was for me to wiggle the hose on the gauge at the intake or just undoing it from the engine and reconnecting it. I'm having a hard time accepting it being the guides, but it could be. I did also run some seafoam in the crankcase and through the intake. The oil looks clean. I'll know more tomorrow about if the intake treatment helping any. Pretty much drove it home and parked it after treating. I'm wondering if some of the engine shake is from my motor mounts. I did pry on them and there is slight play but not sure how much of that is normal and I cant see the mount itself with the dampeners in the way. I haven't been able to do the power balance test yet, but will play around with that when I try out the new scanner.
I'll try to get some video up in here.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
All it took was for me to wiggle the hose on the gauge at the intake or just undoing it from the engine and reconnecting it. I'm having a hard time accepting it being the guides, but it could be. I did also run some seafoam in the crankcase and through the intake. The oil looks clean. I'll know more tomorrow about if the intake treatment helping any. Pretty much drove it home and parked it after treating. I'm wondering if some of the engine shake is from my motor mounts. I did pry on them and there is slight play but not sure how much of that is normal and I cant see the mount itself with the dampeners in the way. I haven't been able to do the power balance test yet, but will play around with that when I try out the new scanner.
I'll try to get some video up in here.
My knowledge is any play in the motor mounts, they are bad.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:15 AM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
My knowledge is any play in the motor mounts, they are bad.
That's pretty much thought on it too. I'm gonna have to take the through bolt out and remove the isolators (I accidently called them dampeners earlier) to get a better look at mount itself. Don't know if the movement I'm seeing is from the actual mount or the isolators.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

As the mounts are rubber, some movement is going to be normal.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:53 PM
racefan41
Captain

Well, the bluedriver obd2 scanner does not work with my truck even after being told personally by the company that it does, ffs

I wasn't looking for anything even complex, but this thing does jack squat

Old 03-13-2020, 08:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Will it not connect?? Not read data? Or just not read very much data???

I got a bluetooth scanner, with the OBDWiz software, and it works, but, the software is VERY basic, and only gives a few parameters, out of more than 100........ Not incredibly useful.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:41 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Will it not connect?? Not read data? Or just not read very much data???

I got a bluetooth scanner, with the OBDWiz software, and it works, but, the software is VERY basic, and only gives a few parameters, out of more than 100........ Not incredibly useful.
I plugged it in and right away it didn't recognize the vehicle which from past scanners I knew wasn't a good sign. I had me enter vehicle info manually. Mode 6 wont function and my airbag light is on(clock spring that is on the way in the mail), but wont even read that code which my other scanner will. I haven't read anything about the OBDwiz software. Is it any good for misfire monitoring and mode 6 function?

Old 03-13-2020, 08:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Quite frankly, it sucks. It wasn't worth the 50 bucks I spent on it. Think Torque Pro would be a better bet.... No experience with it though.

Quick Reply: V10 Coil Pack Specs