2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 5.9L Parts identification, not in Haynes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 07:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My mommy told me that was naughty......

The intake is exactly the same, it's just one hole was NOT drilled there. It's still pretty much the same casting as the 96-97 versions. May or may not have the china wall in the center.....
I didn't know that and didn't want to pass on bad information. So it should be a cheap fix.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:24 AM
GrayHat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a machinist

I am I am looking for a machinist right now, that is to say that is not tied up. To give it a chemical bath and to do the drill and tapping. Will send pictures and results. And yes the two wire connector can make it.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:28 AM
GrayHat
Amateur
Default $75 versus $42 versus DIY

Its going to cost $75 buck for a machinist to start their press and coolant pump to cut this whole. I found another plenum with an EGR port from pik-a-part. Will have to buy the sensor for two wire no matter what. But I am wondering if I bought a tap set, and used my Milwaukee to drill then tap the whole. This way I do not have to find a way to plug the EGR port on the plenum.

PDF Attachment is pictures of the two, seemed easier to make it clickable then to upload straight images.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Plenum_EGR_ECTS2.pdf (62.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by GrayHat; 03-07-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 03-07-2020, 10:09 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by GrayHat
Its going to cost $75 buck for a machinist to start their press and coolant pump to cut this whole. I found another plenum with an EGR port from pik-a-part. Will have to buy the sensor for two wire no matter what. But I am wondering if I bought a tap set, and used my Milwaukee to drill then tap the whole. This way I do not have to find a way to plug the EGR port on the plenum.

PDF Attachment is pictures of the two, seemed easier to make it clickable then to upload straight images.
That is absolutely a possibility. Just make sure you center it

Old 03-07-2020, 02:40 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Remember to use cutting fluid, WD-40 works just fine. And because the thread is tapered, it forgives if the hole/thread is not dead straight.

Last edited by HeikIlm; 03-07-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:41 AM
GrayHat
Amateur

Sorry for the long wait on finishing the post to conclusion. I have tapped and put the ECT's back in put the engine back together and I am getting engine temperature and a great idle. Attached are the pictures of the task. I also replaced the gasket set, cleaned the throttle body and replaced some vacuum lines. Not really sure which of these solved my idle, but now I have gauges again. I did just get a little off center, but it still worked, no leaks!

Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Awesome.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Nice! If you are like me you always feel accomplished when you do something yourself

Old 05-04-2020, 12:43 AM
Jeff Goalen

Originally Posted by GrayHat
I am trying to see why my truck is stalling after acceleration, and I was going to replace the ECT and I found two connectors which my Haynes manual does not identify.

1. Is a connector i found near thermostat housing, I stretched it across its radius to see if there is something unplugged. I found nothing, I have an alternator from car quest that previous own installed, thinking it might been something deleted from the replacement. Any help?

2. This is a connector I found out of place. I think it goes through the intake into the block itself, thus possible knock sensor. Haynes did not identify this as well. If you look in the background you can see the top of the nut it fits into. Seems to have corrosion around it as well. Any help?

3-4. I was going to check my spark plugs when I found this shroud around my ignition wire caps, the first is beat up, the other two behind it are nice. The other five have nothing. Haynes does not help here either. I was wondering if I should go buy the other five protection (actually 6 for the warped one), and also how do you take it out?

5. Finally, I found this bolted to the frame. 5.9L does not have a filter. My fuel sending unit is down, so i have to drop the tank to replace, but found this bulky thing attached to the evap purge device. It is not listed in Haynes either. Connections are a bit ruff as well. Identification anyone?

Thx in advance for the hlep

Not sure what this connector goes to, nothing is unplugged within its radius. Any know?

Looking for ECT I found this unplugged. Seems to have calcium build up, in the background of the sensor you can see the insert spot. Is it a knock sensor?

Another picture of the possible knock sensor

When taking out the plugs, i found this shroud around the ignition cap. I am sure this is a guard from the heat, from the exhaust mani, but I wanted to be sure, since the other five do not have it

Pictures of intact heat shields

I was tracing a line to my gas tank, and found this mounted. Looks like a filter, but the 5.9L has not this, it clearly goes into the gas tank, not sure what it is. Any help?
it’s your evap canister. It holds the evaporated gases and recycles it through the engine

Quick Reply: 96 5.9L Parts identification, not in Haynes