2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4 Ext.cab 5.9L with automatic transmission dumps trans fl

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Thomas Atkinson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4 Ext.cab 5.9L with automatic transmission dumps trans fl

My 2000 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 dumps all of the transmission fluid while driving down the road what cause this and what are the area's I need to look at? Also a side note even as it sits parked in the garage running is pouring transmission fluid onto the ground what and looks like it's coming from between the bellhousing and the engine. But I'm not certain because I hadn't been able to get under it yet. Help me please.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Failed pump, torque converter seal, or the torque converter itself. Gonna have to at least pull the inspection plate, to see where it's coming from. Trans will have to come out for the fix.

The following users liked this post:
Thomas Atkinson (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Thomas Atkinson
Default Thanks guy

So I got into the trans seals and the pump were fine what the issue was with somebody went in and did this guy's transmission service and failed to bolt up the transfer case completely to the transmission and only finger tighten all the bolts around the trans pan and pop threads on the back center bolt on a trans pan I got all that fixed it and took her for a test drive today and found out there's no neutral or reverse now so what can that be is that a sensor neutral safety or valve body

Old 03-12-2020, 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Linkage adjustment, or, internal problem with the shift mechanism.

The following users liked this post:
Thomas Atkinson (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Thomas Atkinson
Default Thanks heyyou

I will check that out tonight when I get home I've also been reading the valve body or second band anchor or the parking Rod are those any possibility I'm a mechanic but transmission works new to me and I've also several badges all of them however never went past 96 this is my first 2000 and first time I'm coming across any issues trans wise

Old 03-12-2020, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So was the t-case installed in it originally from a manual trans truck? (I suspect it was swapped for some reason or other, why else would the bolts be loose?)

Old 03-13-2020, 11:49 PM
Thomas Atkinson
Default Heyyou

[QUOTE=HeyYou;3474224]So was the t-case installed in it originally from a manual trans truck? I'm sorry the autocorrect and the voice to text last night was not working anyways I was trying to say last night was I had gotten under the truck yesterday afternoon and did what I could understand as the linkage adjustment you would ask me to do or told me to do and after I did that the truck decide it was going to Drive in all gears Park reverse Drive 2 and 1 so I decided to entire drive train in neutral by activating the transfer case in neutral and the linkage ended up sheering off the shift lever for the t case so now I'm trying to figure out if my 95 Dodge Ram 1500 with the exact same transmission 46RE and 231 DHD transfer case like the sport is supposed to have and if they will match up with bolt patterns and and electronics if so then I will just swapping everything

Last edited by Thomas Atkinson; 03-14-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Bad typos from auto correct gard to understand
Old 03-14-2020, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wow, that was really hard to understand...... Would you care to try that again?

Old 03-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Thomas Atkinson

I'm sorry bout that last night my phone dont work well when it comes to voice to text in certain places. I did the linkage adjustment from what I can tell like you advised yesterday and the truck proceeded to drive in all the gears now including Park I went to disengage the entire drivetrain by activating the neutral in the transfer case and the linkage that attaches right to the selector on the floor for the sports sheered off and would not engage no matter what. What causes that but at the same time now I'm just ready to swap the transmission from my 95 to my 00 an my 00 to my 95 but I need to know if they will mechanically and electrically line and work properly together.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:35 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Won't work. 95 has RH trans, which has only the overdrive and torque converter clutch controlled electronically. Whereas 00 has RE, which has all the forward gears behind the control unit.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4 Ext.cab 5.9L with automatic transmission dumps trans fl