2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wierd problem - intermittent running lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 08:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts
Angry Wierd problem - intermittent running lights

I'm experiencing an issue with the running lights not working consistently on my 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 standard cab 4x4 with 5.9 gas engine & 46RH transmission. Sometimes, they will turn on and work, but many times, I can turn them on and they won't work. The turn signals work and the brake lights & headlights work fine. I checked the fuses and they are all fine. I checked the wiring at the rear of the truck and it all looks fine. I pulled the headlight switch to see if it was overheating (wasn't) and as I was re-installing it, the running lights came on. Are there other places I should check to find my running light issue? Is there a relay involved that I should check?

Old 03-23-2020, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Check the ground on the left front fender. Should be another ground (or three) in the rear somewhere...... Not sure if that's the problem though, given your symptoms.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

I recently replaced the front fender and the truck bed before I had the truck painted. I did have a broken ground wire on the front fender. I fixed that broken ground wire at the front edge of the front left fender thinking it might fix the issue, but it didn't. I also had a missing ground wire on the truck bed (runs from the front right side of the bed to the frame). I replaced that ground strap too, but still didn't resolve the issue. I ordered a new headlight switch, however, I'm not sure if that will fix it. Any other places to look?

Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Look at the link, It's a recall on the 3500's but the 2500 and even the 1500's have had the same problem. Look at the terminal on the switch where it attaches to the rest of the switch. If it's loose or showing signs of heat replace it. Also look closely at the terminals on the connector for sighs of heat or melting. Dont buy the cheapest switch you can find, I went threw 3 of them(auto zone) before replacing both with a decent brand and problem hasn't returned.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/819.htm

Old 03-24-2020, 08:05 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Moparite, thanks for the tips. I'll pull the headlight switch and disconnect the harness to have a closer look. My new headlight switch and harness should arrive today.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:53 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Talking

Found my issue - after I pulled the switch and removed the connector, this is what I found - replaced the switch with a new one and everything works as it should.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Found my issue - after I pulled the switch and removed the connector, this is what I found - replaced the switch with a new one and everything works as it should.

Common issue, glad you got it fixed! I recommend a headlight relay harness. I built my own but LMC sells them. HeyYou originally told me about it. Plus you get brighter headlights

Quick Reply: Wierd problem - intermittent running lights