2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 5.2 Rough IDLE/REV

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 AM
jrcobb1994
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 5.2 Rough IDLE/REV

Vehicle Info : 1994 Dodge 1500, 5.2, AT, 4x4 -Stdr cab, LB

I bought this truck a Long time ago and never got around to bringer her back to life, the past couple of days ive been thinkin about getting her running again but not sure where to start.

Her life began with in a shady used car lot here in south texas. I fell in love with her( i was stupid ) bought her for a flat 2 grand... she died shortly after
Cause of death.. seized OD on the 46RH Tranny

I went to a salvage yard pulled a used tranny and swapped it in, this is where my REAL troubles begin.
#1 i break the Crank Sensor removing the naded tranny
#2 I find the Salvage TC bolt holes dont line up with the flex plate, I buy a FP from autozone bolt it in all lines up
#3 Start the truck, Instantly blow a 40 amp fuse replaced it and found the short, O2 sensor shorted against tranny , replaced it

After all that get her started and runs like Complete Dog ****... BUT... She does move forward and back now..~so so~
Shes misfiring and backfiring and burning extremely rich, drowning in fuel only way to keep her running is to keep your foot on the gas.
Replaced plugs, wires, cap w/ rotor, temp sensor, cam sensor, cank sensor, 02 sensor. I ran the plug wires as stated in a TSB.
I finally find the cause of the too much fuel, bad pressure regulator on sending unit sending 90lbs to the fuel rails. Still idles rough, still have to rev to keep the motor going.
Its like the timing is way off .. but you cant adjust the timing on this truck.

Im now at a loss of what to do next, any idea would be greatly appreciated

OLD related posts:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...g-in-fuel.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-problems.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placments.html

Old 03-27-2020, 01:11 AM
jrcobb1994
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After i get the engine running smooth again, I will drop her off at tranny shop and have the tranns rebuilt
Side note The engine before i put the salvage tranns in ran very smooth.
I want to keep her mainly because the dash is intact.....

Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Could be a crappy crank sensor, or, given your other symptoms, failed coolant temp sensor. Your truck has two. One for the gauge in the dash (one wire), and one for the PCM (two wire). The two wire sensor should be just to the drivers side of the thermostat housing. Check it, see what it looks like.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Also only get Mopar sensors.

Quick Reply: 1994 5.2 Rough IDLE/REV