2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Runs high rpms and wont stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Shervin Louw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs high rpms and wont stop

So since a while now my ram is actin up real bad at first it wouldn't start just realy loud backfires and de plenum cascet was leaking the backfires seemt like a electrical problem causing it to shut of the sparks so kinde fixted that (stil no cleu what it was exactly) but after some re wiring and changing some stuff it stoped doing that for over 2 weeks.but it has a new problem now i gues its from the intake cascet some vacum leak of some sort.
so what it does starts and runs great until i get to 60km after that engine starts runnig wierd en wont really stop just keeps running high rpms so i turned around home put it in park rpms go up to 2300 stays there a few seconds and drops to about 750-800 and runs perfect again so went back on the road to test it same thing happend again.
So anybody any cleu what can cause this?
( It tuns on lpg injected straight in the airfilter doesnt run on gasoline)

Old 06-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

( It tuns on lpg injected straight in the airfilter doesnt run on gasoline)
LPG needs to be injected directly into the venturi not where you have it. And it usually runs in small metal lines similar to gasoline. I don't know what kind of set up you have! Where is the vaporizer?

Old 06-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Shervin Louw

Got a 230 liter tank in the bed runs true copper lines to the vaporizer on the right wheel wel true the black hose to the mixer on top of of the intake it is set up right is been runnig like this since 97 the system seems fine to me more like a vacum leak somewhere (got the same system set up on my chrysler and ford bothe work great)

Old 06-16-2020, 07:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Are you getting any codes? That sounds a lot like an intermittent sensor failure.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Shervin Louw

I am trying to get my hands on a eobd reader non of mine can read the truck and just yesterday found out my check engine light doesnt work at al so my gues is that there is something really wrong whit it

Old 06-17-2020, 06:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I'm assuming this is a gas engine from the factory? Stock pcm? Vaporizers do go bad and when they do they usually will dump more propane than needed. Looks like a backyard installation so no telling whats going on there.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:35 AM
Shervin Louw

changed out the vaporizer next steo is changing the mixer so i can tune it a little bit beter i schould have a new one saterdayso thats the next step and the instalation is a impco g3 wit a dodge alternative fuel computer so that schould al be fine so if the mixer wont solve it i think i need to rewire the entire gas system so if you have any ideas

Quick Reply: Runs high rpms and wont stop