2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help , ABS and brake light won’t go off , 4x4 light won’t come on

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 11:52 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help , ABS and brake light won’t go off , 4x4 light won’t come on

I’m trying to sell this thing and I really need at the least that 4x4 light to work.

I just did the wheel abs sensor in the diff and the electronic switch on the 4x4 CAD and it didn’t fix my problems.

i didn’t drive it but I’m letting the Computer reset with the negative cable disconnected and hoping it will atleast clear the abs code ( I think it was the sensor because it broke off in the diff and wouldn’t come out) but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

any idears on what else could be my issue ?

I know for a fact that 4x4 is engaging because I’ve driven it for 2 years and tested it. You feel a slight pop in the shift lever. Doesn’t clunk like my last dodge did though.

It will pull out of a ditch , climb over a hill , you can feel all the wheels spin, binds up with really sharp turns in 4x4 on pavement and just recently the front drive shaft u joint is getting a little noisy but it’s hard to hear unless you’re doing parking lot speeds.

a buyer is gonna try to convince me the 4x4 doesn’t work just because of the light I’m sure and will offer me 1000$ for it.

i really need new tires and a leveling kit on this f250 I just bought recently. Didn’t notice how old the tires where until I already bought it. That dodge needs to sell.

please help

Last edited by POSram2001; 06-26-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by POSram2001
I’m trying to sell this thing and I really need at the least that 4x4 light to work.

I just did the wheel abs sensor in the diff and the electronic switch on the 4x4 CAD and it didn’t fix my problems.

i didn’t drive it but I’m letting the Computer reset with the negative cable disconnected and hoping it will atleast clear the abs code ( I think it was the sensor because it broke off in the diff and wouldn’t come out) but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

any idears on what else could be my issue ?

I know for a fact that 4x4 is engaging because I’ve driven it for 2 years and tested it. You feel a slight pop in the shift lever. Doesn’t clunk like my last dodge did though.

It will pull out of a ditch , climb over a hill , you can feel all the wheels spin, binds up with really sharp turns in 4x4 on pavement and just recently the front drive shaft u joint is getting a little noisy but it’s hard to hear unless you’re doing parking lot speeds.

a buyer is gonna try to convince me the 4x4 doesn’t work just because of the light I’m sure and will offer me 1000$ for it.

i really need new tires and a leveling kit on this f250 I just bought recently. Didn’t notice how old the tires where until I already bought it. That dodge needs to sell.

please help
Take the switch out as see if the light comes on. If it doesn't either a bad switch, bad wiring, or a bad bulb. The ABS light get the code. Aren't you the one who took the truck through a mud hole one time lol

Old 06-27-2020, 12:05 AM
POSram2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Take the switch out as see if the light comes on. If it doesn't either a bad switch, bad wiring, or a bad bulb. The ABS light get the code. Aren't you the one who took the truck through a mud hole one time lol
no that wasn’t me. I’m the guy who panics when ever I hear a noise for whatever reason thinking either my tranny, engine or rear diff is going out.

When you say take it out and see if it comes on you mean remove it and press the switch or is the light supposed to come on if it’s removed at all ?

Old 06-27-2020, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Remove the switch, and push in the plunger. See if the light comes on.

Diagnosing 4x4 issues.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:05 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

Light works. Not the bulb or switch. Pulled the vacuum lines and blew into them and no leaks that I could hear. Put them back in.

Tested the transfer case case by putting it in neutral in 4hi and low and cutting the engine

drive shaft doesn’t spin freely so the transfer case is working and it’s engaging.

so what’s the issue ? I’m on the verge of just junking this piece of **** because it’s going to be hard to sell without that 4wd indicator

Old 06-27-2020, 05:54 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought mine without a working light but I also did verify 4wd works by trying a tight turn. The easiest way to troubleshoot issues with the front axle disconnect is to get the passenger front wheel off the ground. Then you can spin the wheel by hand to see if the disconnect properly engages/disengages. Obviously you need the engine running for vacuum but no need to take the truck out of park.
You might want to take the whole disconnect mechanism off and see if the plunger gets pushed in far enough to close the circuit.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:16 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

I got it. Now the 4wd works. I fiddled with the vacuum lines all the way down and some spots weren’t on all the way.

now the light won’t come off but she definitely works now. I guess it really wasn’t engaging even though the transfer case was spinning the front drive shaft. I have to kill it in neutral to put it in 4low.

now It’s stuck in 4x4. How do I get it to go back to 2wd.

Last edited by POSram2001; 06-27-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:05 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

Figured out the issue. I actually had My vacuum lines on backwards on the cad. One of my metal lines is crushed therefore rendering one of the lines useless.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Go to the parts store, get an appropriate length of brake line, and replace both metal lines. They do like to rust out.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:18 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Mine got a leak at where the rubber vac lines go on to the cad, Water got in and rusted it closed.

Quick Reply: Please help , ABS and brake light won’t go off , 4x4 light won’t come on