2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual trans question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 02:12 PM
stimpee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Good Plan.

Is the check valve still in the trans cooler line?
I have not removed the check valve, however I have not looked to see if the trans shop that did the previous work removed it or not. I will see if I can get under it today and take a look. I had planned to check for flow to the cooler first, but have allowed my frustration to get out ahead of me thus far...

Would you recommend removing the check valve (even if it is not blocked)?

Thanks for your patience in helping me thru this! I am trying to fight the urge to fix this with money/newer truck, since fixing this beast is still likely me cheapest and best option...

Old 06-28-2020, 02:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by stimpee
I have not removed the check valve, however I have not looked to see if the trans shop that did the previous work removed it or not. I will see if I can get under it today and take a look. I had planned to check for flow to the cooler first, but have allowed my frustration to get out ahead of me thus far...

Would you recommend removing the check valve (even if it is not blocked)?

Thanks for your patience in helping me thru this! I am trying to fight the urge to fix this with money/newer truck, since fixing this beast is still likely me cheapest and best option...
Everybody says yes on that. Me I was still running it and since I have my motor out I took the tranny lines out and am really considering drilling out three check valve because it's free insurance. What happens is it can get clogged and the tranny didn't get the cool fluid

Old 06-28-2020, 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

The check valve was designed to prevent converter drain-back when the truck was off. Dodge did it that way because from the factory, the torque converter isn't charged in park. (which is why you need to check fluid level in neutral....) Most folks, when they do a rebuild, change that. It's a pretty minor modification to the valve body, and the check valve is no longer needed, plus, you can check your fluid level in park. Given that the worst symptom of NOT having the check valve in there, is a delayed shift into reverse/drive at first start of the day, I routinely removed them, or drill them out, or replace that section of line, with some line rated for trans fluid, and a couple clamps.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The check valve was designed to prevent converter drain-back when the truck was off. Dodge did it that way because from the factory, the torque converter isn't charged in park. (which is why you need to check fluid level in neutral....) Most folks, when they do a rebuild, change that. It's a pretty minor modification to the valve body, and the check valve is no longer needed, plus, you can check your fluid level in park. Given that the worst symptom of NOT having the check valve in there, is a delayed shift into reverse/drive at first start of the day, I routinely removed them, or drill them out, or replace that section of line, with some line rated for trans fluid, and a couple clamps.
You wouldn't remember off hand what size drill bit you use?

Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You wouldn't remember off hand what size drill bit you use?
Last one I did, I just bought two bucks worth of hose, and four clamps.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Last one I did, I just bought two bucks worth of hose, and four clamps.
Don't you have to buy fittings to?

Old 06-28-2020, 10:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Don't you have to buy fittings to?
Nope. Unscrewed the check valve on one end, pushed the flare nut back, pushed the line on, and double clamped it. On the other end its a quick-connect, so, release that, pushed the hose over the wrinkle the quick connect uses to latch, and double clamped that side as well. Less than 5 bucks in parts. I think it took me 15 minutes total to do. (aside from the trip into town for the parts..... that was likely 45 minutes. )

Quick Reply: Manual trans question