2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual trans question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 AM
stimpee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual trans question

Will a manual trans from a 2006 ram 1500 v6 work in my 1996 ram 1500 with 360 engine?

I am tired of the automatic issues and considering a swap. I don't drive particularly hard or abuse the truck but I will be towing 6k lbs along with 2 motorcycles in the bed (800+ lbs) semi regularly.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-27-2020, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Probably not. Bolt patterns are going to be different. (how much different? Don't really know.)

Look for an NV4500, the trucks actually came with those at one point.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:05 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

In 2006, the Ram's used the Getrag 238 6spd which would require a lot of fab work to get new trans cross members, t-case shafts, shifter linkage, etc. It may or may not bolt up. Didn't see anything where someone swapped to a magnum engine.

The nv3500 was used in 1500s until 05 and bolts right up. As does the 4500 which came in HDs. Still have to cut holes, mount hydraulics, add pedal, etc.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:23 PM
stimpee

Originally Posted by Ramman18
In 2006, the Ram's used the Getrag 238 6spd which would require a lot of fab work to get new trans cross members, t-case shafts, shifter linkage, etc. It may or may not bolt up. Didn't see anything where someone swapped to a magnum engine.

The nv3500 was used in 1500s until 05 and bolts right up. As does the 4500 which came in HDs. Still have to cut holes, mount hydraulics, add pedal, etc.
Seller says the trans is a 5 speed? Is the 1996 360 engine automatically considered a "magnum" engine?

Sorry, I have owned this truck a long time (purchased new), but it has seen better days. Trying to revive it and frankly done with dealing with the auto trans. And I think it will be way more fun with a manual.

Just plan to use it as an occasional driver and a tow vehicle to take our RV trailer to the track for motorcycle track days.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:26 PM
stimpee

Here is a picture of the engine/trans combo if that helps at all.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is your truck two, or four wheel drive? That trans looks like it is set up as 2wd..... If yours is 4 wheel drive, it's gonna be fun to make it work.

I think you would be happier if you just did some work on the 360, and got a GOOD rebuild for the trans..... Probably spend less too..

Old 06-27-2020, 01:13 PM
stimpee

I guess I have done a crappy job of setting the stage here, so my apologies.

The truck is a 1996 Ram 1500 Club Cab, short bed, RWD SLT Laramie with the 360 engine and auto trans.It has a bit shy of 115k miles on it.

In 2015 the trans locked up a few days before we were moving from FL to TN. Since I was towing a reasonably decent sized horse trailer filled with 3 motorcycles and various bits to TN, and I was working away from home, I was basically bent over a barrel and ended up spending about $3k with a local shop for a "full rebuild" of the trans, supposedly with some significant upgrade parts, shift kit, added large external trans cooler, etc to ensure durability towing.

Aside from the trip up to TN, I have probably put maybe 2-3k miles on the truck since then, just a bit of it towing. Last year, we picked up a new camping trailer which is about 5k lbs empty. On the way home with the trailer the truck started spewing smoke, and the trans over temp light came on. I was only a few miles from home so I continued the drive.

Now, if I drive the truck around town locally, even with some load in the bed, it is totally fine. The ONLY problem I have right now is a leaky exhaust manifold, and the truck often dies while in reverse (based on reading, could be the CPS, or perhaps a torque converter problem?) I have not tried to tow with it, but my son did take a 50-60 mile drive each way with it a few weeks ago with a motorcycle in the back, and when he arrived back home there appeared to be some leakage from the trans near the front, and the truck was almost not able to be backed up at all (kept sounding like a diesel and dying).

I keep going back and forth between ditching the truck, or fixing it up to use as our tow vehicle for track days. It is a good solid truck with reasonably low miles, and I think it could be really nice for perhaps a few k investment, vs looking at the insane costs of new-ish trucks. But I am concerned about the unknowns with the trans issue. So the thought of the manual swap entered my mind...

The body needs some work (blowout damage on bed lower wheelhouses, bad oxidized paint, and a bit of rust at the door bottoms.) But otherwise the truck is solid. I invested in a few PS pump and a Red Head steering gear and pitman arm last year which was a big upgrade, and getting ready to do the tie rods, idler arm, and ball joints. Also considering a mild lowering kit and then once it is mechanically solid maybe some wheels and paint/body fixes to make it look nice.

Appreciate any/all help.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Being 2wd makes it a bunch easier. You want an NV4500 trans if you are going to be towing/hauling with it. They came in 2500/3500 trucks, with 360 engines. They are getting to be fun to find though..... That would be the easiest swap. Getting the whole donor truck would make your life much easier as well. Find one with a trashed body, or wrecked, or blown motor.... and it shouldn't be too hideously expensive.

That said, I think your trailer, once loaded.... is going to be getting pretty close, if not over, your max towing weight..... Not a good scene. Any idea what your max weight is??

Old 06-27-2020, 11:11 PM
stimpee

Max GVW of the trailer is 6500 lbs. It is a bit shy of 5k (around 4700ish) empty.

I purposely chose a trailer that was under the max towing capacity of the truck by a reasonable margin. All sounded great until the trans overheated on the way home from the RV dealer!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Good Plan.

Is the check valve still in the trans cooler line?

Quick Reply: Manual trans question