2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Insane Transmission Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 03:14 PM
denn69
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insane Transmission Temps

So I am having really high trans temps while just driving around normally. Its a 2001 dodge ram 1500 46re. I dont have a gauge but have been reading off of the OBD with an Edge CTS2 Scanner also used an Innova 5510 scanner. I am not sure but I think it reads from the governor sensor. Anyone know how accurate that is? Im reading 225-235 degrees after driving around. I narrowed it down to 2 things, a clogged trans cooler or the PATC 2600 Stall converter. The worst move I made was install that converter. I feel it makes the truck drive like crap for everyday driving where I live. I know it builds extra heat but I cant see it getting that hot from just a converter unless PATC is just a crappy converter. I originally had asked them to get as close to 2300 as possible but it stalls at 2600. The trans was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago and I have put a ton of work into it since then. I really dont want to kill it. I plan on tapping the LPW pan and adding a real gauge. I have ordered a Tru-Cool 40,000 GWV trans coolerand a line filter i will be installing on Friday, replacing the stock one. I think Im going to swap out the converter to a Precision of new hampton street stall. That would be about 1900-2000 RPM stall. Thats where the cam comes on at. Anyway, Im not going to drive the truck anymore until i figure this out. Anyone have any input? Thanks again,

Dennis

Last edited by denn69; 07-21-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The temp sensor is part of the governor pressure sensor, and yeah, it's pretty accurate. Have you dealt with the check valve in the trans cooler line yet? I think that would be my next step. The converter WILL add some heat, but, once you get to third gear, and it locks up, it should become a non-issue. Still and all, on a stock motor, 2600 is way too high. I think you would be happier down around 2000...... I think stock was like 1600-1800.....

Old 07-21-2020, 03:54 PM
denn69
Professional

Motor is a 408 . Check valve is gone. Have new solenoids, DNJ GM Governer billet Manifold, Billet accumulator, Billet reverse servo, Billet Front Servo, New rebuilt Performance valve body, 3.8 front lever, heavy duty kickdown strut and an LPW deep pan. Yeah I really messed up listening to most converter places. They are so damn quick to say 2500+. I dont care about launching a 5800lb 4x4 truck. I feel like an idiot. I wanted bigger motor for more power not to race light to light. Anyway, I really believe that the converter is playing a big part. Alot of my driving is around 2000-2800 around my house and I feel the converter is slipping most of the time. I am just concerned right now with it hitting that temp. It wasnt sustained driving at that temp but I am still concerned with damage.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:58 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't your torque converter locking up? At that point you have no slip. I bet that your issue. I would change the trans oil as 235 is pretty hot. Do you have a temp gun? The trans cooler would be crazy hot to touch.

To fix your slip, lock your converter in second gear. The high stall is ok for first gear.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I still think something in the neighborhood of 2000 stall speed would suit your purposes better. Your trans would probably like it better too.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:24 PM
denn69
Professional

I am going to swap coolers out on friday. Ill give it a complete fluid change flush then also. Just put the fluid in last friday when I put the trans back in. Mopar ATF+4, 50 Dollar waste. I dont want to bad mouth someones product so I am going to swap coolers in hopes that mine is clogged. I disconnected the lines and blew 120 psi of air through the cooler 2 days ago. It seemed to stay cool for a bit but then jumped back up. If the cooler swap doesnt help It would have to be the converter. I am swapping that out regardless for the lower stall (approx 2000) I just dont want to drop the tranny that fast again. I just got it back up less than a week ago. Again, I just hope not too much damage was done.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it is the converter, then the sooner you get it out of there, the happier you will be. I know dropping trannies isn't any fun.... but, you likely spent a fair bit of coin on that trans, and want it to last. Not to mention you want to be able to use your truck AS a truck.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:36 PM
denn69
Professional

Yeah man I agree. Call me crazy, i have some stuff to change on the motor like injectors throttle body etc, I may just pull the motor. I think its easier. Ill see. Thanks again for all the help. I will update

Quick Reply: Insane Transmission Temps