2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RAM v6 3.9 liter (1998)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 05:35 AM
CLPS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RAM v6 3.9 liter (1998)

RAM 1500 V6 3.9: Done engine rebuild, got it all back together, but the darned thing won't start neither for love nor money.

Has new crankshaft position sensor. CAMshaft position sensor shows exact behaviour on voltage meter as Haines manual/internet guidance says it should. Has reconditioned PCM Brain. Distributor rotor is not 180 degrees out from TDC. Spark reaches engine. Swapping relays reveals no dud relays; wipers work on any of the swapped relays. No voltage reaching ASD relay or fuel pump relay, therefore t'ain't pumping gas. I kroozed junkyards photographing ground wires, and correct swivel angle for distributor; currently adjusting mine. Beyond that I'll run out of ideas. Getting tired of suggestions that it has a reset button under the fender coz it pillockin' well doesn't. Anyone feel able to think beyond my boundaries of capability here? Thank you.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Can't have spark with no power to the asd relay. If you have power there the pcm should kick on the fuel pump relay. It doesn't stay on only primes the system then shuts off until the motor starts. Set the fuel sync and see what happens. Need to have #1 cylinder ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE, Then position the distributor like this...

The following users liked this post:
CLPS (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

No voltage at ASD or Fuel pump relays? Could you clarify that a bit? If you aren't seeing power at pin 30 on those relays, then no, it simply isn't going to start. Those should be hot at all times, regardless of key position.

Moving this to second gen ram section for ya.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:53 AM
CLPS

thank you. Halfway thru this task as I wrote.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:58 AM
CLPS

The numbers stamped on my relays are not the same as those illustrated in Haynes/internet diagrams. Someone must have replaced them. There is 12v reaching the larger terminals but neither ASD nor Fuel Pump Relay is "catching on" and sending their choice voltages out (e.g. 7v from fuel relay to fuel pump).

Old 08-28-2020, 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pin 30 is main voltage supply.

Pin 85 should be hot with ignition on.

Pin 86 is the ground side of the control circuit, and is controlled by the PCM.

Pin 87 is relay output to whatever device it is powering.

When you first turn the key on, ASD and fuel pump relays should both energize for about 3 seconds. (and you should be able to hear the fuel pump run.) If you aren't getting that, start by verifying that you are getting 12 volts on pin 85 with ignition on. (and also make sure you have 12 volts at pin 30 as well...... should be hot all the time.)

Old 08-28-2020, 09:16 AM
CLPS

I won't forget No ! position at T D C

regarding the distributor swivel position... does that dotted centre line thru the rotor arm in the drawing have to be roughly parallel to the rear edge of the engine?

I've swung the body of the distributor round to a position, roughly matching where all the others were [@ junkyards], now I am expecting to have to remove oilpan, loosen oilpump,reach up in there, poke and turn distributor shaft by one cog-width, climb back atop, drop distributor in accordingly, refit rotor and cap... so the whole thing should look much like everyone elses. Currently the rotor would be positioned about midway between two high tension terminals, rather short of its new No 1 position, until I doo da deed as above.

A neighbour told me the swivel position can be anywhere as long as the rotor's hitting its HT terminals at the right moment. I Don't believe it, he's thinking of his old Chevy.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Isn't there a mark of some sort on the intake, the dotted line is supposed to be pointed at?

Old 08-28-2020, 09:27 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 08-28-2020, 10:31 AM
CLPS

many thanx for the manual

Quick Reply: RAM v6 3.9 liter (1998)