2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge ram still has a. Miss after a tune up

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 12:56 AM
Steve Bartee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge ram still has a. Miss after a tune up

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram truck with the 5.9 engine. I replaced the sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button. She still has a miss at idle and worse when first taking off. She smooths out until the overdrive shifts in then she chugs when driving normal. If I gear down one and have more rev it doesn't chug and buck. If I run her hard she smooths out but I can tell she just isn't right, and not hitting on all 8.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

It's likely still missing in 3rd gear, just not felt as much. (O/D tends to amplify the miss) Does the miss at idle show up immediately, or will it idle smooth for couple minutes, then start missing?

Moving this to 2nd Gen Ram section for ya.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:00 AM
Steve Bartee
Default 1998 Ram still missing

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's likely still missing in 3rd gear, just not felt as much. (O/D tends to amplify the miss) Does the miss at idle show up immediately, or will it idle smooth for couple minutes, then start missing?

Moving this to 2nd Gen Ram section for ya.
Yes, I agree the OD amplifies the reaction a ton. She has the miss; not a real bad miss. It misses more when driving esp. Around 40_45 mph on the road. Seems better when accelerating or a higher rpm.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Have you checked your plenum yet? (there is a thread on just this topic pinned at the top of this forum)

What plugs did you install??

Old 08-29-2020, 10:55 AM
Steve Bartee
Default Pentium and type of spark plugs

No sir I'm not sure about the pentium, but I'll research it, check it and post my results today. Autozone sold my wife champion spark plugs whivh I gapted and installed. I didn't like those becouse, I was taught Mopar runs best on Autolite sparkplugs. But since she had already bought them, I installed them.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:59 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Bartee
No sir I'm not sure about the pentium, but I'll research it, check it and post my results today. Autozone sold my wife champion spark plugs whivh I gapted and installed. I didn't like those becouse, I was taught Mopar runs best on Autolite sparkplugs. But since she had already bought them, I installed them.
Champions are fine as they were OEM. Take a look at your Plenum and report back

Old 08-29-2020, 12:37 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Even if it doesn't set the CEL the PCM continuously counts misfires per cylinder. See if that gives a clue to which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Steve Bartee

I checked the penium, it is the stock steal one and does have a small film of oil on it.I still need to check and see if I indeed, have vacume coming from the intake, when I check it and either confirm it or hopefully no vacume I'll text my observation.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge ram still has a. Miss after a tune up