2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Slippage

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:41 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 46RE Slippage

Evening Gen 2 brothers,

I have a question for you all. As you know I recently did a tranny service by dropping in a shift kit. It helped the late shift issue however, I failed to tighten the bands. So, my issue is that when the truck is cold it takes 20-30 seconds after in gear before it will roll. Is that a symptom of loose bands of something more fatal?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Is the check valve still in the trans line? Did you do the modification so the torque converter gets charged in park?

Old 09-18-2020, 07:37 AM
racerxv6
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the check valve still in the trans line? Did you do the modification so the torque converter gets charged in park?

Without checking I am going to say yes as I never touched the trans lines. As for the shift kit enhancement, I simply put in a Solenoid Upgrade Kit "Dual Pack Solenoids Governor Pressure Speed Sensor Electronics". So i am going to say no for getting the convertor charged in park. Also, when towing the boat and during any change in elevation the truck will start to drop in speed and when she downshifts automatically i do not gain any speed back. Hence why I am thinking it's slipping......

Last edited by racerxv6; 09-18-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably more than one issue there. I would be tempted to have a look at the trans line, and inspect the valve. If it's gone, the delay in moving on the first startup in the morning, is normal. In all reality, it wouldn't hurt to eliminate the valve, if it is still there, as it can cause other issues itself. (like your trans burning up.)

For the lack of power, how many miles on the truck? Is the plenum blown?

Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 PM
racerxv6
Veteran

Probably more than one issue there. I would be tempted to have a look at the trans line, and inspect the valve. If it's gone, the delay in moving on the first startup in the morning, is normal. In all reality, it wouldn't hurt to eliminate the valve, if it is still there, as it can cause other issues itself. (like your trans burning up.)

For the lack of power, how many miles on the truck? Is the plenum blown?
147,000 don't know, what is the test procedure for that....also where is the check valve located on the line?

Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check valve is the the line running to the bottom of the radiator, right where it changes from hard line, to soft. Right in front of the motor, passenger side.

Take off the air filter housing, crack the throttle wide open, (engine NOT running.....) and have a look inside. See oil pooling in there? Time to fix the plenum.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:03 AM
racerxv6
Veteran

Check valve is the the line running to the bottom of the radiator, right where it changes from hard line, to soft. Right in front of the motor, passenger side.

Take off the air filter housing, crack the throttle wide open, (engine NOT running.....) and have a look inside. See oil pooling in there? Time to fix the plenum.
Thanks HeyYou !!!!

Old 09-26-2020, 05:55 PM
racerxv6
Veteran

ok, just got to taking air cleaner off. When looking down in TB I do see black substance, not necessarily puddle of oil but maybe dirt and oil. could that mean that the plenum is for sure blown. have not checked check valve yet as I have bed off and am checking the indexing of the few pump. gauge doesn't work since I replaced FP.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand fuel pump??

I bit of stuff down there doesn't surprise me, as the PCV will let some in, need to look toward the back of the plenum, see if there is any oil there.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Also, when towing the boat and during any change in elevation the truck will start to drop in speed and when she downshifts automatically i do not gain any speed back. Hence why I am thinking it's slipping......
You aren't towing with the overdrive on are you? When you dropped the pan what did the fluid look like?

Quick Reply: 46RE Slippage