2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering box brace

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 10:43 AM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering box brace

Thinking of updating my steering and been reading about the steering box brace. Its the one that attaches each end of where the sway bar is and has a bearing where the pitman arm goes. Has anyone ran these and does it actually help with steering play? My only concern is when off road it not allowing slight frame twist

Old 09-27-2020, 02:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Dodge Off-Road makes one that only mounts around the steering box, it's a nice piece, and allows the frame to twist a bit, to avoid exactly the issue you are talking about, but, it sure ain't cheap.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Thinking of updating my steering and been reading about the steering box brace. Its the one that attaches each end of where the sway bar is and has a bearing where the pitman arm goes. Has anyone ran these and does it actually help with steering play? My only concern is when off road it not allowing slight frame twist
I used the exact one you described and it did nothing

Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM
ddtmoto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one of the ebay cheapie braces on mine. $55 or so. I had upgraded already to a Borgeson box and tie rods ends, drag link which made a huge improvement in the steering. I was impressed by results of the brace install. Noticeably tightened things even more. Well worth my time and effort...

Old 09-27-2020, 07:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ddtmoto
I put one of the ebay cheapie braces on mine. $55 or so. I had upgraded already to a Borgeson box and tie rods ends, drag link which made a huge improvement in the steering. I was impressed by results of the brace install. Noticeably tightened things even more. Well worth my time and effort...
That's the one I used and didn't notice a difference

Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Dodge Off-Road makes one that only mounts around the steering box, it's a nice piece, and allows the frame to twist a bit, to avoid exactly the issue you are talking about, but, it sure ain't cheap.
Ya I seen those there nice. Almost like a skid plate to. If it actually helps id say it may be worth the money. Im skeptical about the full brace style units.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:46 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm on the other side: not worth the money or effort. The play in your box will never be cured by a brace that was never designed for, nor intended, to be attached to the frame. Best option is get a good box like Redhead and never look back. I left off my brace and stabilizer. Solid box, 1 ton steering, and good alignment is all you need.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I'm on the other side: not worth the money or effort. The play in your box will never be cured by a brace that was never designed for, nor intended, to be attached to the frame. Best option is get a good box like Redhead and never look back. I left off my brace and stabilizer. Solid box, 1 ton steering, and good alignment is all you need.

Yah those red heads look nice but with the currency exchange its BIG money lol i might live with the slop for now unless the reman box gets shot again soon here ill consider it . I wanna do some other upgrades first maybe then.

Quick Reply: Steering box brace