2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'99 Ram 1500 having issues with 46RE Transmission after swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Jermy-Jinky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Ram 1500 having issues with 46RE Transmission after swap

I have a '99 Ram 1500 with the 46RE transmission, and the transfer case ID tag says 231 D. Had to put new cooler lines on it, then the case broke off at the threads. Trans was fine other than that. Got a replacement 46RE trans and swapped it out. Now, the truck won't automatically upshift. Everything works fine if I shift it manually. Fluid level is good. I'm starting to work through all of the trouble shooting tasks in the service manual, but one thing I noticed, are some of the vacuum lines that are connected to the transfer case are disconnected, and I can't figure out (or find in the manual) anything about where or how they reconnect. I have a green one that has an odd looking 90 degree angle boot/connector on the end and a white one that has a 90 degree angle boot on the end. I found a white line coming off of the transfer case that had no end on it, so I figured those went together. I also found another green line wrapped with the other lines that has a weird Y shaped connector on it with one of the branches not having anything connected to it, but it doesn't look like the connection on my loose green line will connect to it in any way.

Will not having the transfer case wires/connected properly keep the regular transmission from shifting properly?

Luckily, if I have to switch any parts out, the trans I had to remove was in proper working order, so I at least have that hope. I've been trying to get this truck back on the road going on two weeks now. I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-07-2020, 03:43 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jermy-Jinky
I have a '99 Ram 1500 with the 46RE transmission, and the transfer case ID tag says 231 D. Had to put new cooler lines on it, then the case broke off at the threads. Trans was fine other than that. Got a replacement 46RE trans and swapped it out. Now, the truck won't automatically upshift. Everything works fine if I shift it manually. Fluid level is good. I'm starting to work through all of the trouble shooting tasks in the service manual, but one thing I noticed, are some of the vacuum lines that are connected to the transfer case are disconnected, and I can't figure out (or find in the manual) anything about where or how they reconnect. I have a green one that has an odd looking 90 degree angle boot/connector on the end and a white one that has a 90 degree angle boot on the end. I found a white line coming off of the transfer case that had no end on it, so I figured those went together. I also found another green line wrapped with the other lines that has a weird Y shaped connector on it with one of the branches not having anything connected to it, but it doesn't look like the connection on my loose green line will connect to it in any way.

Will not having the transfer case wires/connected properly keep the regular transmission from shifting properly?

Luckily, if I have to switch any parts out, the trans I had to remove was in proper working order, so I at least have that hope. I've been trying to get this truck back on the road going on two weeks now. I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance!
The vacuum lines won't affect shifting those are for 4wd. The green is just a vent and goes up by the distributor, white is the vacuum source from the motor down to the transfer case, and then red and black go to the cad.

Sounds like you got an electrical problem what year did the 46RE come out of?

The following users liked this post:
Jermy-Jinky (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:31 PM
572mopar
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap your original electronics, the solenoid with the wire harness, and the 2 sensors, you will have to drop the valve bodies to remove and replace but it’s fairly simple, be careful with accumulater and springs as they will fall out and be a handful reinstalling but this should fix and resume your shifting as long as the replacement transmission was good before

Jermy-Jinky (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:20 AM
Jermy-Jinky

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The vacuum lines won't affect shifting those are for 4wd. The green is just a vent and goes up by the distributor, white is the vacuum source from the motor down to the transfer case, and then red and black go to the cad.

Sounds like you got an electrical problem what year did the 46RE come out of?
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I was just wondering if the transfer case was somehow making the PCM think it was in 4WD even though it physically isn't.

I believe it was a '97...not 100% sure.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:24 AM
Jermy-Jinky

Originally Posted by 572mopar
swap your original electronics, the solenoid with the wire harness, and the 2 sensors, you will have to drop the valve bodies to remove and replace but it’s fairly simple, be careful with accumulater and springs as they will fall out and be a handful reinstalling but this should fix and resume your shifting as long as the replacement transmission was good before
Awesome! Thanks for your reply! I was thinking this would be something that I'd have to do. I'm hoping this will take care of it. I know the old transmission was perfectly fine, until the threaded hole for the cooling lines broke off of the housing. So, I at least have good replacement parts if the replacement transmission is bad.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Getting any codes for the trans?

Really need to verify what year the replacement trans was, it does make a difference.......

Old 10-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Jermy-Jinky

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Getting any codes for the trans?

Really need to verify what year the replacement trans was, it does make a difference.......
Will there be any markings on the trans itself to verify?

As far as codes...I dunno...I don't have a code reader

Old 10-08-2020, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I don't know if the key dance will work on a 99...... but, give it a shot. Just cycle the ignition on-off-on-off-on, then leave it on. Either the check engine lite will flash codes, or, they may be displayed on the odometer.

Is the check engine lite on? Most any parts store can read codes for ya as well. (including pending codes, which the key dance won't get.)

There is likely a part number stamped on the side of the trans, along the rail the pan bolts to, but, I don't know how much help it will be. Worth a shot I suppose.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:59 PM
Jermy-Jinky

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't know if the key dance will work on a 99...... but, give it a shot. Just cycle the ignition on-off-on-off-on, then leave it on. Either the check engine lite will flash codes, or, they may be displayed on the odometer.

Is the check engine lite on? Most any parts store can read codes for ya as well. (including pending codes, which the key dance won't get.)

There is likely a part number stamped on the side of the trans, along the rail the pan bolts to, but, I don't know how much help it will be. Worth a shot I suppose.
Thanks, I'll try this and report back!

Old 10-08-2020, 04:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I was just wondering if the transfer case was somehow making the PCM think it was in 4WD even though it physically isn't.

I believe it was a '97...not 100% sure.
PCM doesn't get a clue for 4wd. Unless it's 01 or newer. If it is from a 97 you need to take your harness and sensors out of the original trans and put it in this trans

Jermy-Jinky (10-15-2020)

Quick Reply: '99 Ram 1500 having issues with 46RE Transmission after swap