2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question About Sport Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 09:01 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Question About Sport Bumpers

I've been thinking about doing a sport conversion for a long time, but it occurred to me the other day when I was working on my truck that I stand and kneel on the front bumper a whole lot to get to things in the engine bay. On the chrome bumper, obviously you have the plastic top with the anti-slip pattern on it that makes this very easy and doesn't hurt anything. With the sport bumper being painted plastic though, I'm curious if it's still alright to do this? Do any of you sport owners regularly stand on your front bumpers to work under the hood? If so, how's it holding up?

Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

What year is your truck? There wasn't really much difference between the stock bumper, and the sport bumper before the 98.5 mid-cycle update. After that, yeah, there are some significant differences. I think the mounts were different, and grill certainly is.

That said, I have a stool that I use to work under the hood..... but, my truck is an early 98, and my previous truck was a 96.....

Old 11-03-2020, 09:11 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year is your truck? There wasn't really much difference between the stock bumper, and the sport bumper before the 98.5 mid-cycle update. After that, yeah, there are some significant differences. I think the mounts were different, and grill certainly is.

That said, I have a stool that I use to work under the hood..... but, my truck is an early 98, and my previous truck was a 96.....
01. I'm talking about the newer bumpers that are all plastic, not the earlier ones that look identical to the chrome ones but are just painted. But yes, the mounts are different and so is the grill. I like the look much better.

I find myself using the bumper to climb up under the hood and then laying across the radiator shroud to reach things almost every time I work on the truck. The truck is tall and I'm short haha!

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 11-03-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am 6'2" and I still feel 'short' when trying to work under the hood.

If you go to the sport bumper, don't think I would wanna stand on it..... its likely slick, and delicate as well.

The following users liked this post:
Spillage (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

I am 6'2" and I still feel 'short' when trying to work under the hood.

If you go to the sport bumper, don't think I would wanna stand on it..... its likely slick, and delicate as well.
That was my fear...hoping someone with a sport can chime in on the durability of the facia.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's painted plastic.... so, stepping on it is likely to do a number on the paint.... and if you have to be under there in the cold..... it may crack if you step on it.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:37 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

It's painted plastic.... so, stepping on it is likely to do a number on the paint.... and if you have to be under there in the cold..... it may crack if you step on it.
Well if there is a solid support directly under the center (where one would step) then it may not be a big deal. It will certainly scratch, but wouldn't necessarily do major damage. That's what I'm looking at. It seems that Dodge went to some trouble with the 2nd gen design with the foot holes in the bumper and the anti slip checkering on the plastic cover for the chrome bumpers to allow people to step there. I'm just curious if they did something like this for the sport bumpers too. Who knows.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:56 AM
kennyrkun
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Sport and I put regularly stand straight up with both feet on the bumper. It hasn't broken, started sagging, or deformed in any way and the paint still sparkles like new (when it isn't covered in mud.) The plastic has felt strong and durable in the heat and extreme cold. I think as long as you aren't bashing it with a steel hammer, it will be just fine.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by kennyrkun
I have a 99 Sport and I put regularly stand straight up with both feet on the bumper. It hasn't broken, started sagging, or deformed in any way and the paint still sparkles like new (when it isn't covered in mud.) The plastic has felt strong and durable in the heat and extreme cold. I think as long as you aren't bashing it with a steel hammer, it will be just fine.
Fantastic, just the answer I was looking for, thanks Kenny.

The following users liked this post:
kennyrkun (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 11:05 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
Fantastic, just the answer I was looking for, thanks Kenny.
The plastic sits right up against a metal brace (actually looks like the chrome bumper but black) so no issues there. What you could do is put PPF on the top so you don't scratch it. You will be fine standing on it. Might also want to looking into a top creeper, I used one at a buddies and wanted one ever since.

Quick Reply: Question About Sport Bumpers