2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck runs great until it warms up

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 01:27 PM
David 0512
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck runs great until it warms up

I have a 96 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 it'll start and run great until it gets around 140-170° and then it'll start to idle rough and if I apply any gas it'll raise the rpms up a little but it'll start to backfire and run very rough and it then die and I won't be able to start it until the next day and then the same thing happens and no codes are present

parts I've replaced:
IAC valve
TPS
Both coolant temp sensors
Crankshaft sensor
Ignition coil
Wires
Rotor
Cap
Pick-up coil
fuel pump assembly
both o2 sensors
and messed with some vacuum lines

I had ran it to brake-in my new brake pads and it was fine during probably 45 to an hour of braking them in and then I parked it and the next day it rained and then the day after it rained I went to start it to bleed my brakes one last time and this has been happening since. Also my downstream o2 sensor is stuck at 1v and it was stuck at 1v before I replaced them.

Last edited by David 0512; 11-16-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:43 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Please clarify: You changed all these things at one time or another, or did you replace the parts after the problem appeared ?

Sounds like you have a decent scan tool that can read live data, what do intake air temp, engine temp and the O2 sensors show when it dies ? Also what does the MAP sensor read ?

The rain could be just coincidence but a lot of older trucks are missing the foam that keeps water from dripping down into the PCM area so that might be another thing to look at.

Last edited by DerTruck; 11-13-2020 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
David 0512 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 09:47 PM
David 0512

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Please clarify: You changed all these things at one time or another, or did you replace the parts after the problem appeared ?

Sounds like you have a decent scan tool that can read live data, what do intake air temp, engine temp and the O2 sensors show when it dies ? Also what does the MAP sensor read ?

The rain could be just coincidence but a lot of older trucks are missing the foam that keeps water from dripping down into the PCM area so that might be another thing to look at.
I replaced the parts individually after the problem appered, I will check the live data tomorrow. And also yeah my truck is missing that foam/rubber peice to keep the water from dripping near it.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:16 PM
David 0512

should I freeze frame the live data right when it starts to act up? Also my upstream o2 sensor is around .200-.300v when it starts to act up and on the top of my head I think my MAP sensor reads 10.8, but my fuel system 1 is in CL and my fuel system 2 is in OL but my downstream o2 sensor is also stuck at 1v.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:15 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Freeze frame is a function of the PCM, it records all relevant data when it throws a Diagnostic Trouble Code. I don't think you can snapshot the data at will, unless the scan tool itself can store the data.

MAP sensor around 10 in HG looks ok (assuming idle). Upstream O2 is on the lean side, in closed loop it should register going back and forth between lean and rich (which the PCM controls). If it is consistently lean that might be a symptom. The downstream O2 is only used to monitor cat efficiency so let's ignore that for now.

When starting it from cold have a close look at the loop status. Trying to figure out if it runs fine in open loop and starts to stumble when it goes into closed loop, or if the problems start later when the engine gets warmer.

David 0512 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 08:29 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Does the engine temp reading on the scanner go up while it's warming up?

David 0512 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 02:14 PM
David 0512

Originally Posted by Moparite
Does the engine temp reading on the scanner go up while it's warming up?
Yes the engine temp does climb as the truck warms up

Old 11-14-2020, 02:16 PM
David 0512

Freeze frame is a function of the PCM, it records all relevant data when it throws a Diagnostic Trouble Code. I don't think you can snapshot the data at will, unless the scan tool itself can store the data.

MAP sensor around 10 in HG looks ok (assuming idle). Upstream O2 is on the lean side, in closed loop it should register going back and forth between lean and rich (which the PCM controls). If it is consistently lean that might be a symptom. The downstream O2 is only used to monitor cat efficiency so let's ignore that for now.

When starting it from cold have a close look at the loop status. Trying to figure out if it runs fine in open loop and starts to stumble when it goes into closed loop, or if the problems start later when the engine gets warmer.
I'm pretty sure when it goes into closed loop it's fine it just does it after it start to warms up and it seems to run fine in open loop aswell. And it is constantly lean.

Last edited by David 0512; 11-14-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

What temp does it go up to?

Old 11-15-2020, 01:10 PM
David 0512

Originally Posted by Moparite
What temp does it go up to?
It's hard to really know because it can't reach its max operating temp because it is constantly dying, but it's gone up to 167° right when it started to die.

Quick Reply: Truck runs great until it warms up