2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alarm going off all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 06:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

125 bucks and two days to get a key??? WTF? There is no resistor in the key, its just a chunk of metal with a plastic grip. Get the key code, go to the locksmith, have them cut you a key. Should be end of problem.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:41 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so, i got an update on my truck situation and thanks again. Called a mobile locksmith today to make a key and he came out with his transponder reader thingy and did not get a radio signal from the Skim/ignition at all and his info keeps telling him that these trucks don’t come with a chip in them. I tried to explain about the base line and high line ctms and even showed him the service manual, but in the end if there’s no signal then there’s no signal. I then asked about programming a key fob and it didn’t work either. A couple months ago I was getting no bus messages and and I ended up buying a used central timing module. I think my previous ctm did not have the anti theft optioned and the used one that I bought did. So, with this train of though can’t I just hit pick a part and add a new skim ring or Key reader to my truck and have him come and program it?

Old 11-19-2020, 11:30 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynn Wells
Ok so, i got an update on my truck situation and thanks again. Called a mobile locksmith today to make a key and he came out with his transponder reader thingy and did not get a radio signal from the Skim/ignition at all and his info keeps telling him that these trucks don’t come with a chip in them. I tried to explain about the base line and high line ctms and even showed him the service manual, but in the end if there’s no signal then there’s no signal. I then asked about programming a key fob and it didn’t work either. A couple months ago I was getting no bus messages and and I ended up buying a used central timing module. I think my previous ctm did not have the anti theft optioned and the used one that I bought did. So, with this train of though can’t I just hit pick a part and add a new skim ring or Key reader to my truck and have him come and program it?
That in unsure of. If that is the case then the alarm shouldn't have went off because it doesn't have all the wiring. Only done 01-02 came with chipped keys. Most did not

Old 11-19-2020, 05:41 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

ToMy truck is the premium model that came with the RKE originally. I think at one point a previous owner bought a new ctm and requested that the vtss not be activated. The used one I bought is active, I believe. I’m going to return to the house we just sold and see if I can find the old ctm that I changed out. It should be there. While reading through the Service manual just now I noticed something interesting, maybe. Hopefully, somebody can clarify this for me. In the second stanza, first paragraph it says that the “nostart” condition is enabled it cannot be disabled until the PCM is replaced with a new unit. When my alarm first started the truck would start then die immediately, now it won’t even start. Is this the no start condition and am I gonna have to change the PCM first? Thank u

Old 11-19-2020, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think what it is saying there, is that if the security systems enables the no-run feature, as in, give the system the ability to prevent the engine from starting, you can't turn it back off again, and have to replace the PCM if you want that particular feature disabled.

That seems really weird to me, but, I suppose that was just to prevent folks from using a DRB to turn the feature off, and then steal the truck.

The following users liked this post:
Lynn Wells (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think what it is saying there, is that if the security systems enables the no-run feature, as in, give the system the ability to prevent the engine from starting, you can't turn it back off again, and have to replace the PCM if you want that particular feature disabled.

That seems really weird to me, but, I suppose that was just to prevent folks from using a DRB to turn the feature off, and then steal the truck.
This makes more sense

Old 11-20-2020, 01:24 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

It’s a damn shame because not only do I really like this truck I NEED it to run right now and if I have to deal with the PCM I will take a damn sledge hammer to this thing first. I retrieved the previous CTM and have just installed it and am about to try it. Hey You, we pretty much read that the same way then. I hope that isn’t the case. Smh. Thank you gentlemen, you’ve been the ****, Lynn

Old 11-20-2020, 02:23 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

Alrighty then, I am fairly confident that the alarm has been shut off. There’s no more clicking coming from the horn relay and the head lights no longer flash. Battery wasn’t charged as much as it could be, put it on the charger/jumper and I can hear the fuel pump kick on but I’m not getting any fire and I’ve never had a problem starting this truck. EVER! I’d like to go on record to dodge and say that this is bull****. I’m gonna let it charge some more....Lynn

Old 11-20-2020, 08:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the security light in the dash on?

Old 11-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

No security light that I can see. I have a aftermarket stereo in it and there was none when I bought the truck. However, I’m unsure if it means anything, but the power button on the stereo, KenWood, flashed its red light at one point but isn’t now. Idk if that means anything. I’ve never had any problems starting this truck. I am certain that this is the no start condition that the manual says will need the pcm replaced in order to fix. Where do I start? Thanx

Quick Reply: Alarm going off all of a sudden