2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alarm going off all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynn Wells
I reinstalled the previous ctm and that turned the alarm off. Still won’t start.
The alarm goes off after 3 minutes it still won't start though

Old 11-21-2020, 10:47 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say nay, sir. As far as the CTM is concerned, the alarm is off, sir. What I am concerned and hope you know about is this...is the alarm off in the PCM? Is this the “no start condition” that the service manual refers to? How can I find out without a DRB tool. The pcm isn’t completely disabled because the obd2 still works(right?) and is this consistent with the “no start condition”? Thanks again, Lynn

Old 11-22-2020, 01:49 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The alarm will quit sounding after 3 minutes. According to my 01 owners manual the only way to disarm the system and get the vehicle to start is unlocking the door with your key

Old 11-22-2020, 02:45 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

Without the vtss being activated on the replacement CTM there’s no way to trigger the vtss. Also, I am next to my 1999 ram when this is going down and there is no 3 minutes of alarm. The 98-99 service manual says there’s 15 minutes before the alarm shuts itself off and once that happens your horn will beep 3 times to alert you to that once you start the vehicle. I appreciate your help and hope u continue to do so, however I will also argue with a fence post. I will post a pic of the ignition lock and u tell me if it has skim on it or not. Thank you, Lynn

Old 11-22-2020, 06:02 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

I suppose they could be wrong but I found this link while doing a search and it confirms what I was afraid of all along. It isn’t the cost it’s the amount of time it takes. Thank you all for your time by the way and I will let you know what I end up doing. https://www.*********.com/attachment...cm-txt.163769/

Old 11-22-2020, 10:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Lynn Wells
Without the vtss being activated on the replacement CTM there’s no way to trigger the vtss. Also, I am next to my 1999 ram when this is going down and there is no 3 minutes of alarm. The 98-99 service manual says there’s 15 minutes before the alarm shuts itself off and once that happens your horn will beep 3 times to alert you to that once you start the vehicle. I appreciate your help and hope u continue to do so, however I will also argue with a fence post. I will post a pic of the ignition lock and u tell me if it has skim on it or not. Thank you, Lynn
No skim. I'm going off of the 01 owners manual and the 3 honks confirms what I read to, so maybe they just shortened the time. With replacing the CTM I believe you cause more issues because now you can disarm the alarm.

Quick Reply: Alarm going off all of a sudden