2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alarm going off all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 03:26 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm going off all of a sudden

Hello again, in the middle of a cross country move, we go to get in the truck and the alarm starts blaring. I didn’t even know I had an alarm. Pertinent facts...I’m bad with keys but the dodge will start with almost any key so I’m not using the original key I think it’s some Nissan key I been using for like a month. So, obviously, I can’t open my doors if they are locked. We locked doors last night and crawled through the window to unlock the passenger side door and that’s when alarm occurred. We’ve done this many times and never had this happen before. What do I gotta do to get back on the road please and thanx, Lynn

1999 Ram 2500
v10 8.0
straight piped and Texas bound, baby!

Old 11-16-2020, 03:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynn Wells
Hello again, in the middle of a cross country move, we go to get in the truck and the alarm starts blaring. I didn’t even know I had an alarm. Pertinent facts...I’m bad with keys but the dodge will start with almost any key so I’m not using the original key I think it’s some Nissan key I been using for like a month. So, obviously, I can’t open my doors if they are locked. We locked doors last night and crawled through the window to unlock the passenger side door and that’s when alarm occurred. We’ve done this many times and never had this happen before. What do I gotta do to get back on the road please and thanx, Lynn

1999 Ram 2500
v10 8.0
straight piped and Texas bound, baby!
You need the original key and unlock one of the doors

The following users liked this post:
Lynn Wells (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

Moparfanatic, thank you for your quick response. However, I’ve already come to the conclusion that the original key would make this all go away. What I would like help with is disabling without the original key. I’m sure there’s a way. Is there a certain sequence that I unknowingly did to set the alarm? This is not the first time the vehicle has been unlocked like this by a long shot. Anyways, thanks

Old 11-16-2020, 07:02 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

I have a question...if there’s no electrical connection to the door lock how does unlocking the doors disable the alarm? I assume there’s no chip in the key cause I can start it with most any key. Is this correct assumption or has the alarm been bypassed before maybe? I have changed the ctm recently. I suspect it may have something to do with it, but Idk for sure. Thank you, Lynn

Old 11-16-2020, 11:48 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I have a question...if there’s no electrical connection to the door lock how does unlocking the doors disable the alarm? I assume there’s no chip in the key cause I can start it with most any key. Is this correct assumption or has the alarm been bypassed before maybe? I have changed the ctm recently. I suspect it may have something to do with it, but Idk for sure. Thank you, Lynn
There are wires going to the door locks in the door. What caused it to go off is you locked the doors and then unlocked them with using the key in the door. The truck thinks it was broken into. In all my time working on these trucks (on my own and at a dodge garage) I know no way to disarm or bypass the system. Unless you can get a dealer to come to you with a DRBlll scan tool. Which most won't and most dealers don't have that tool anymore and don't know how to use scan tools anymore.

Lynn Wells (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Call the dodge dealer, (whomever is nearest.) Give them your VIN, and they should be able to look up your original key codes. Get a key (or two) cut, and use it to unlock the doors. Should solve the issue, and should be less than 20 bucks.

Lynn Wells (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 12:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Call the dodge dealer, (whomever is nearest.) Give them your VIN, and they should be able to look up your original key codes. Get a key (or two) cut, and use it to unlock the doors. Should solve the issue, and should be less than 20 bucks.
Good idea! Didn't think of it

Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

Well, gentlemen, I went to the dealership and they said $125 and two days to get one from Los Angeles. When I asked about the key codes they said I could just get a locksmith and maybe it will work for a little while and maybe not. He said there’s a YouTube video that shows a bypass, but my check engine light would always be on. I don’t give a damn about the check engine light. We’ll rent a room again tonight and try again tomorrow. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:50 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Well, gentlemen, I went to the dealership and they said $125 and two days to get one from Los Angeles. When I asked about the key codes they said I could just get a locksmith and maybe it will work for a little while and maybe not. He said there’s a YouTube video that shows a bypass, but my check engine light would always be on. I don’t give a damn about the check engine light. We’ll rent a room again tonight and try again tomorrow. Thank you.
If you figure out a bypass, post it because it could help another member (Please )

Lynn Wells (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 04:09 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

Absolutely, sir. Right now our plan is to buy a key fob and get it programmed tomorrow. Does anybody know if that won’t work, for sure? Thanks

Quick Reply: Alarm going off all of a sudden