2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headers. Short or long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:00 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headers. Short or long?

I wanna get some headers next year and wanna know everyone's inputs on what is the best for these trucks. And which gaskets to use. I have a 96 1500 5.9 4x4 . Have a magnaflow muffler . Afe air intake and I deleted the cat. I do some towing in the summer so that's a factor. Was looking at the jba shortys. Thanks yall

Old 11-22-2020, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Shorties are actually better for low- to mid-range torque. Long tubes will build more power at higher RPM, but, the kegger manifold really isn't the best for that. It kinda falls off around 4K RPM. (someplace my truck rarely, if ever, saw.)

Old 11-22-2020, 10:19 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm running JBA coated shorty headers on my '96 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 magnum motor. They are very well made and fit perfectly. I'm using thick reusable copper header gaskets. I upgraded the exhaust system to 3" pipe from the cat on back with the following parts:

Dynomax UltraFlo Welded Muffler - 17233
Magnaflow Converter - 99047HM (dual 2" inlets, 3" outlet, front O2 sensor port)
bung to weld-in for the rear O2 sensor
3" tail pipe bent at muffler shop along with welding the bung into the 3" straight pipe behind the cat

I've been very happy with this setup.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:13 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Shorties are actually better for low- to mid-range torque. Long tubes will build more power at higher RPM, but, the kegger manifold really isn't the best for that. It kinda falls off around 4K RPM. (someplace my truck rarely, if ever, saw.)
Good to know

Old 11-22-2020, 07:14 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I'm running JBA coated shorty headers on my '96 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 magnum motor. They are very well made and fit perfectly. I'm using thick reusable copper header gaskets. I upgraded the exhaust system to 3" pipe from the cat on back with the following parts:

Dynomax UltraFlo Welded Muffler - 17233
Magnaflow Converter - 99047HM (dual 2" inlets, 3" outlet, front O2 sensor port)
bung to weld-in for the rear O2 sensor
3" tail pipe bent at muffler shop along with welding the bung into the 3" straight pipe behind the cat

I've been very happy with this setup.

Did you install yourself ? How much of a pain was it

Old 11-22-2020, 07:59 PM
2000_Dakota
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely agree that in your case shorties possibly mid's if you can find them for your application are the way to go simply because its a 4x4 and has no business "racing around." Better suited for low end to mid range.

Try not to cheap out, thicker flanges welded inside and out are best. No welding irregularities where they need the gasket at the head. I always used good quality bolts designed for headers. When you tighten them to the head always work from the middle out alternately.

I would suggest make sure the rest of the exhaust system is aligned correctly and tight. Welded or band joints are always better than those of the u bolt variety.

Although I have never seen them, installed them or ran them I hear Kooks sp? are generally very good and very pricey. I think you might be happy with Gibson's as well and have a more tolerable price point.

While on the topic of exhaust and finding myself a little older every day, I find Flowmasters very annoying after a while only for the drone they tend to produce. My pet peave these days are all the "cold start" videos on YouTube.

Regardless of your muffler choice I like to tell people the racket is much less if the tail pipes go out to the read bumper. At least over the axle housing.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:09 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000_Dakota
I completely agree that in your case shorties possibly mid's if you can find them for your application are the way to go simply because its a 4x4 and has no business "racing around." Better suited for low end to mid range.

Try not to cheap out, thicker flanges welded inside and out are best. No welding irregularities where they need the gasket at the head. I always used good quality bolts designed for headers. When you tighten them to the head always work from the middle out alternately.

I would suggest make sure the rest of the exhaust system is aligned correctly and tight. Welded or band joints are always better than those of the u bolt variety.

Although I have never seen them, installed them or ran them I hear Kooks sp? are generally very good and very pricey. I think you might be happy with Gibson's as well and have a more tolerable price point.

While on the topic of exhaust and finding myself a little older every day, I find Flowmasters very annoying after a while only for the drone they tend to produce. My pet peave these days are all the "cold start" videos on YouTube.

Regardless of your muffler choice I like to tell people the racket is much less if the tail pipes go out to the read bumper. At least over the axle housing.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Keep us posted.

Thank you for the advice. I used to love the way the truck sounded until I deleted the cat haha. Hopefully headers will tone it down back to what it was. is there any mild power gains ill notice?

Old 11-22-2020, 08:18 PM
2000_Dakota
Professional

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Thank you for the advice. I used to love the way the truck sounded until I deleted the cat haha. Hopefully headers will tone it down back to what it was. is there any mild power gains ill notice?
I've never thought deleting the cat made that big of a difference on the street, especially a 4x4. Some companies do offer performance cats if for nothing else passing a smog test which here in South East Arizona we have no idea what those are.

What other mods have you done for your 5.9?

Old 11-22-2020, 08:21 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000_Dakota
I've never thought deleting the cat made that big of a difference on the street, especially a 4x4. Some companies do offer performance cats if for nothing else passing a smog test which here in South East Arizona we have no idea what those are.

What other mods have you done for your 5.9?
Mildly rebuilt motor with a performance cam. Magna flow muffler deleted cat
afe air intake. Helix throttle body spacer and 4.10 gears.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:25 PM
2000_Dakota
Professional

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Mildly rebuilt motor with a performance cam. Magna flow muffler deleted cat
afe air intake. Helix throttle body spacer and 4.10 gears.
Nice, I hope you mean mufflerS. I think you will like it, seems the exhaust is begging to be updated given your mild motor mods.

Quick Reply: Headers. Short or long?