2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

00 1500 4x4 not engaging but shaft is turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:41 PM
comet424
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got the 3 bolts out with propane i got lucky i wasnt sure..

i got the other part soaking in EvapoRust it least doesnt eat alumunin cast.. costs a lot so i use it sparining.. but i afraid if i keep watcing the pin with a punch to try to bang it through
it may brake the casting..

so i got it soaking i hope it will release.. and the Sensor switch fell apart from the vinegar..

and if the scratch was 5 bucks i could.. or if u could donate a donar truck for free as i need cab and fenders frigin canadas salt and she rotting good

Old 01-06-2021, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Familiar with the whole salt thing. I live in Michigan..... but, yours is REALLY bad......

Not surprised the switch fell apart, that just wasn't that much of it left.

You got REAL lucky with the bolts. Congrats.

There is a rather thick cork gasket that goes in there, were you able to save that? Or is it toast?

Old 01-06-2021, 02:55 PM
comet424
Veteran

so i got the 3 bolts out.. i got the acuator out.. you can see the switch fell apart.. these must be orginal stuff maybe.. or because canada uses too much salt..
not i got the hhousing soaking in the Evaporust more... and that lip that the nut sits on looks a little high makes a tight fit though not sure if it swelled of ir thats ok.. but right now i trying to soak and see if the evapo rust get the rest of the rust off i wire brushed it and then washed it in soapy water.. the cork gasket toast really was coated white too.. but lucky with the new acuator thing i got a new gasket with it.. but got the housing soaking more to get the rest of the rust

Old 01-06-2021, 05:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wow, good deal. Things inside look pretty good anyway. Looks like the housing is salvageable as well. Just need some new parts, and you will be all set. I don't remember if there were nylon 'feet' on the shift fork or not......

Old 01-06-2021, 05:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wow, good deal. Things inside look pretty good anyway. Looks like the housing is salvageable as well. Just need some new parts, and you will be all set. I don't remember if there were nylon 'feet' on the shift fork or not......
Yeah little tabs

Old 01-06-2021, 06:32 PM
comet424
Veteran

some of the parts are expensive 50 bucks for the switch.. amazon sells it for 20 bucks ya i put new plastic pieces on. i take it thats a wear plate?

ya i gave the housing a new paint job and when i assemble it ill be coating with the asphalt spray the grit guard.. hopefully it will make it last longer from salt here.. do you guys in micigan use alot? we use extra salt here like some of the salters use extra as they have been told stop it they even put a truck in front the salt bins so they cant load more salt lol

and how do u add oil to this.. dodge says 3 liters goes in there.. but i was thinking maybe i should changed the seals when i pull the shafts out when i did those universals but i not doing it now .. i dotn want it leaking out etc.. but now sure how u fill it

i did polish up the best i can the axle part and when you do put the cork gasket on do i oil it.. or spray it the copper or red gaket ssealer stuff you buy? and i cleaned the holes of corrsion on the cover plate i was thinking to add teflon thread sealant or grease on the bolts so it cant corrid in there again or what do you guys add for corrison resistant.. odds are it will outlast the truck but i like to always use stainless bolts on exhausts as im the one that has to fix it and if i can unloose the bolts easy its better for me then damn corriosn and rusted to hell and back

Old 01-06-2021, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be a fill plug on the side of the diff. Passenger side axle seal is right inside where that collar is, just to the right of it. Drivers side seal, ya gotta pull the gears to change. Major pain.....

I mostly see the mounts for the control arms rusting away to nothing here. I don't think our road crews are quite as liberal with the salt as yours.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:45 PM
comet424
Veteran

which are the control arms... and would u like some of our salt when i get a chance i gonna take pics of the trailer hitch id like to make sure it still looks solid.. its still a good truck only has 146k km so nothing like others have 2-600k kms

i know i had the transmission pump seal changed and that was like 2018 2019 and i see its leaking again. oh i so hate changing it.. and had mister transmisssion rebuild the transmission go figure lol
guess they just dont frigin last

so hopefully the seals dont need replacing.. but not much oil poured out when i took that acuator out but also when i pulled the shafts out to change the universals 3 times in 8 yrs having truck i never added oil.. so im sure it needs it lol ill have to take a look tommorow and how do you know you have enough oil.. as the guy said its needs 3 liters and the rear end needs 2.5

Old 01-06-2021, 10:17 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I would permanently lock the CAD and forget about replacing the actuator. The vaccum CAD is garbage failure prone design they tried it and did away with it on Jeeps in the early 90s but for some reason it took them until 02 for them to get rid of it on the trucks.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Control arms are part of the suspension. Go between the axle, and the frame. Four of 'em.

Any warranty left on your trans?

Basically, I squirt gear lube into the fill hole, till it starts coming back out. Then it's full.

Quick Reply: 00 1500 4x4 not engaging but shaft is turning