2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

00 rear brakes drums question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 10:23 AM
comet424
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 rear brakes drums question

hi i working on a 2000 with 4x4
i had done the front brakes bled them and still spongy i guess i have to also do a master cylinder bleed.. i have another post for the 4x4 i working on havent gotten around to it yet.. as been too cold and had to get the wheels on
as the truck fell of the jack from the rains.. but i jacked up the back.. and doing rear brakes and they seem ok.. but they seem to be not worn much but watching the A1auto video mine seem to be backwards like the springs

is there a picture how the rear drums should looke

Old 12-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Google is your friend my friend.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:39 AM
comet424
Veteran

ah ok well i was googling trying to get for specific model couldnt find
and the A1 auto video says 94 -02 and the bar with the spring on it they talk about goes to the back of the truck and like this pic goes forward
so i wanted to make sure i got the right one... i appreciate it.. ill double check this with the what i got

Old 12-18-2020, 02:23 PM
comet424
Veteran

so i took my rear brakes apart both sides soo much dust and everything it siezed yet it was greased up or supposed to been as these pads not even worn down really
i have question the support plate seems ok but there is a 1/4" from the outside a line wall plate i can bend easily as it was bent i straightned some.. is that welded to the support plate? can you add that thin piece of metal. whats the purpose of it? do i really need it and if i do can i replace that support plate easily.. so far i been replacing all the lines well not yet the back since i gotta get new cylinders but was curious about this inner thin lip its not in the above image and

i had question i dont understand with Caliper greases when you buy new brake pads for the fronts it comes with some caliper grease and its not and thin plyable like nevea creame or like antiseze..
with new calipers they greased with the purple stuff and its creamly one new calipers..

when i buy purple caliper stuff.. its soo thick you ruin the brush its in it.. i temped to put it in boiling water just to heat the bottle up to make the stuff inside spreadable..

when i watch the a1auto video.. the guy is using caliper lube out oif a white bucket thats gray paste and its thin as antisize hes brushing it on.. but for my stuff id have to pull it out with my fingers and spread it on stuff.. so whats the deal? carquest and my local parts store says its supposed to be thick.. but if its thick then why is it thin when you get new calipers,, and why is the pre packaged lube thin with new brake pads... and why is a1auto showing thin stuff but the parts store says its supposed to be thick

whos right? and if its supposed to be thick do you guys stick your bottle in boiling water so it heats up the caliper lube as i already ruined the brush in it spread apart and the stick part already bent trying to get the **** out

Old 12-19-2020, 01:20 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Would be nice to see exactly what you're referring to but I do remember a lip on the outside of the brake housing. The shoes should clear that and any other lips or seams. They ride on a few nubs that need brake lube. Yes, lube should be soft and spreadable. You can get a big enough tube to do several trucks for a couple bucks anywhere parts are sold.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 AM
comet424
Veteran

dont have a phone to take pics... weill its just like 1/16" or its 1/32" of metal that goes the entire diamater of the the drums back plate its falling off at sections so i just been breaking it off.
so then caliper lube should be creamy like nevea cream then as they say it needs to be thick and not soft so its just confusing
why this caliper lube is so thick ruins the brush.. yet in the video it comes out like consitancy of antisez or like paint so it can be just brushed on easily

Old 12-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Right, like anti-seize or jelly. Don't over think it! New calipers come with the pins already lubed and sealed. They are a little tight so I like to make sure they move freely but that's it. Shoes just need a little lube on the wear nubs. It takes very little brake lube to even do a full job.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:30 AM
comet424
Veteran

ah ok ya thats what i thought.. so why do some places so needs to be thick like i told them i might as well dig my fingers in and pull it out to try to put on brakes or the brake adjuster for the rear brakes on the threads.. as i usually just use the silver/gray antisieze for it.. as the brake caliper stuff so god damn thick.. but Carquest said supposed to be thick you dont want it rubbing off and my local parts dealer says supposed to be thick they sell the orange caliper lube i think its permatic but its also a thick consitancy makes it hard to use as my brush is now like a japanse hand held fan spread wide

so i figure maybe boiling in pot of water just to use the damn **** lol

Old 12-19-2020, 03:35 PM
comet424
Veteran

so i just picked up the rear brake cylinders
question it doesnt come with new push pins.. my old ons are rusted... but clean 1/4" is that normal.. first time i ever done this style.. do those push pins go right in or they only stay in 1/4" and do you also put some caliper or antiseize grease in them for the push pins

i watched some videos but some seem cleaned pins some seem old pins so i not 100% sure

Old 12-19-2020, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You can re-use the old ones. I think finding new ones is darn near impossible...... Clean 'em up, and stick 'em in, they don't go in real far, and are only held in by the friction fit in the boots on the ends of the cylinder. Keep track of them fellers, they have a habit of running off......

Quick Reply: 00 rear brakes drums question