2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 4.7 With no EGR Valve - what was used prior to the EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 01:21 PM
David E. Holt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 4.7 With no EGR Valve - what was used prior to the EGR?

My truck exhibits all the signs of a bad EGR Valve - I could not find it on my engine - then I was told that this is because Dodge did not install EGR valves on the 4.7 engine in 2002. So my question is - what else could cause the same issues as a bad EGR valve - when there is no EGR valve?

Old 01-28-2021, 02:11 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Several things could cause the issue you're experiencing. What's the mileage on the vehicle and what maintenance has been performed to-date?

Old 01-28-2021, 02:24 PM
David E. Holt

About 20 thousand miles on a remanufactured engine installed 3 years ago. I imagine when they did that work - they just put all the old parts back onto it though. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it; I replaced the plugs, the coil packs, the Throttle Control Sensor, the Idle Air Control Valve and the PCV Valve. I also installed a new Transmission filter. The truck will crank and run just fine, but when I put it into drive it will stall soon after I start moving. When the problem started happening I'd have to keep revving the engine while holding my foot on the brake or else it would stall -- same thing if coasting down a hill. If I put it into park it idles fine. My next thing is to replace the MAP sensor and the Coolant Temperature Sensor - after that the only other thing I can think of is to replace the ECM. More and more money. I have so much money in it now that I hate the idea of giving up on it.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by David E. Holt
About 20 thousand miles on a remanufactured engine installed 3 years ago. I imagine when they did that work - they just put all the old parts back onto it though. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it; I replaced the plugs, the coil packs, the Throttle Control Sensor, the Idle Air Control Valve and the PCV Valve. I also installed a new Transmission filter. The truck will crank and run just fine, but when I put it into drive it will stall soon after I start moving. When the problem started happening I'd have to keep revving the engine while holding my foot on the brake or else it would stall -- same thing if coasting down a hill. If I put it into park it idles fine. My next thing is to replace the MAP sensor and the Coolant Temperature Sensor - after that the only other thing I can think of is to replace the ECM. More and more money. I have so much money in it now that I hate the idea of giving up on it.
What brand sensors? If they aren't Mopar sensors (especially in critical areas such as throttle sensor and IAC) that could be your problem. Usually 90% of the time it is

Old 01-28-2021, 03:07 PM
David E. Holt

I think just about everything that I bought was BWD - from Advance Auto Parts.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I think just about everything that I bought was BWD - from Advance Auto Parts.
That's a big issue as BWD is junk

Old 01-29-2021, 02:24 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That's a big issue as BWD is junk
Broken When Delivered ....

The following users liked this post:
MoparFanatic21 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 06:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Don't ever use BWD absolute junk!
Broken When Delivered ....
Describes it perfectly.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:02 PM
Mguilliot06@gmail.com
Default Probably a transmission issue

My truck exhibits all the signs of a bad EGR Valve - I could not find it on my engine - then I was told that this is because Dodge did not install EGR valves on the 4.7 engine in 2002. So my question is - what else could cause the same issues as a bad EGR valve - when there is no EGR valve?
You went through complete transmission maintenance ? I've been doing research on why my 2004 dodge dakota is struggling to accelerate up to highway speeds fast. I can slowly get it up there, but my truck is acting like it has loss performance. I'm leaning towards bad torque converter. As my engine sounds great and idle fines. My truck also does very well local driving, but as soon as you need to Rev some power on the motor it just doesn't get to the wheel like it should. I replaced spark plugs, coil packs , and now all 02 sensors fixing all check engine light issues. I Google a bad EGR valve that is stuck will cause issues I'm experiencing, but finding out 2004 and older don't have EGR valves.

I did come across information about replacing the tranny filter and also the pressure switch and solenoids. I heard those going bad could cause some issues that your experiencing as far as stalling goes. You should Google that and see if those are the symptoms your experiencing.

For the most part if it was a motor issue the check engine light would come on telling you what area to check. I heard a bad torque converter can put your motor into limp mode only give you enough power to drive around at 30mph.. it's kinda what I'm experiencing I can Rev it quickly to 30-40 then the motor stalls out. I can get it to higher speeds on flat freeway slowly gaining momentum and hills good luck. Better be driving pretty fast coming up to those hills.

Last edited by Mguilliot06@gmail.com; 05-01-2024 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguilliot06@gmail.com
You went through complete transmission maintenance ? I've been doing research on why my 2004 dodge dakota is struggling to accelerate up to highway speeds fast. I can slowly get it up there, but my truck is acting like it has loss performance. I'm leaning towards bad torque converter. As my engine sounds great and idle fines. My truck also does very well local driving, but as soon as you need to Rev some power on the motor it just doesn't get to the wheel like it should. I replaced spark plugs, coil packs , and now all 02 sensors fixing all check engine light issues. I Google a bad EGR valve that is stuck will cause issues I'm experiencing, but finding out 2004 and older don't have EGR valves.

I did come across information about replacing the tranny filter and also the pressure switch and solenoids. I heard those going bad could cause some issues that your experiencing as far as stalling goes. You should Google that and see if those are the symptoms your experiencing.

For the most part if it was a motor issue the check engine light would come on telling you what area to check. I heard a bad torque converter can put your motor into limp mode only give you enough power to drive around at 30mph.. it's kinda what I'm experiencing I can Rev it quickly to 30-40 then the motor stalls out. I can get it to higher speeds on flat freeway slowly gaining momentum and hills good luck. Better be driving pretty fast coming up to those hills.
4 year old thread??? I would hope he has fixed it, or scrapped/sold the truck by now....

Quick Reply: 2002 4.7 With no EGR Valve - what was used prior to the EGR?