2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 06:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
C'mon, Ray Charles saw that one coming
Yeah, you would think I would know better by now. You are just SUCH an opportunist. (doesn't help that I give you such golden opportunities though......)

Old 03-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

I gave up on cheap 2-jaw pitman arm pullers years ago and ponied up for the conical SnapOn, which i think are actually OTC

https://www.jbtools.com/otc-8150-con...saAo5WEALw_wcB

Old 03-17-2022, 11:03 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

That's exactly what I ordered. A bit cheaper from Bezos.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:07 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Got the big puller today and since it wasn't raining for the first time in months, I threw the new box on. Got everything R&R'd in about two hours since this was my third time and I have the tools. But it got dark before I could bleed the system. Stay tuned for the results!

Since putting on the new steering shaft, the steering has been much quieter and easier to turn. There is still some play in the box but that should be gone with the new Lares.

This has to be it. I've done absolutely everything else. Once this is bled, I should have perfect steering or there truly is no more hope.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:06 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Well, the results are in.

Pros:
- the Lares box bled really easily with just a few bubbles
- it's very quiet, no, there's no noise at all when turning
- good power assist, even at low speeds it wants to turn
- very light effort to turn
- installed easily with no problems

Cons:
- still has play at 12 noon just like the Redhead
- the new steering shaft I recently put on first has a little give in it so the wheel wants to wobble as you drive
- I may have to try another steering shaft or try to fix up my old one (not convinced this teeny thing is real quality but it's all rockauto had)
- the saga continues as it still isn't as good as new

I only drove around the block so I'll give it a few days. I also did not reinstall the box brace so I could compare the boxes properly. That may help the little noon wobble.
Stay tuned for more!! UGH

Here's some pics:

Old 03-24-2022, 12:19 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Well, drove to work and it had this annoying slop right at noon. So I'm thinking about it all day so when I got home I checked the shaft at the box and sure enough, it wasn't tight enough. The old shaft was much thicker but the new one needed to be tightened a lot to grab the splines tightly. So I reefed on it and the slop is gone. There's still a little 'lean' from the crown in the road which I can attribute to the T steering. But overall, I'm pleased. It has such quick turning and powerful return. I may add either the steering shock and/or brace yet but I'm calling it done.

HURRAY. Geez Louise, I could teach a master class on this thing.

Anybody want a decent used Redhead? $200 bucks.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:06 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Well, drove to work and it had this annoying slop right at noon. So I'm thinking about it all day so when I got home I checked the shaft at the box and sure enough, it wasn't tight enough. The old shaft was much thicker but the new one needed to be tightened a lot to grab the splines tightly. So I reefed on it and the slop is gone. There's still a little 'lean' from the crown in the road which I can attribute to the T steering. But overall, I'm pleased. It has such quick turning and powerful return. I may add either the steering shock and/or brace yet but I'm calling it done.

HURRAY. Geez Louise, I could teach a master class on this thing.

Anybody want a decent used Redhead? $200 bucks.
Where are you located?

Old 03-28-2022, 05:36 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Sold the old Redhead box today. It was a younger guy with a 01 2wd Cummins. He offered me $160 so I said, "Bring your truck by, and let's take a look at your steering where it's loose first. If the slop is in the box, I'll help you install it for the full $200." He said ok!

So he came by this morning and had slop in both pitman arm and idler arm plus the box. We swapped the box out pretty quickly and got it bled. He was more than happy to have improved, albeit not perfect, steering. I got my price, he got a better steering gear and we had a good time turning wrenches. Glad I could help him out. Win win.

Quick Reply: As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga