2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 07:12 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Here's the latest on my horrific steering saga:

Third pump installed last year and since bled a million times. A few weeks ago I got mad and cranked it a ton of times in the driveway while jacked up. All it did was spew fluid all down the engine and on my driveway. I could see teeny tiny bubbles but that was it. And the mess.

Today I jacked it up again and checked for binding in the linkage. There wasn't any. Everything is still good there. I looked again carefully at the reservoir as I turned the wheel with the engine off. The fluid always rises up and out when turning to the right. Then turning left, you can audibly hear a sucking / gurgling sound. Then back to the right it pushes the fluid up and big bubbles pop. Obviously, it's sucking air in somewhere. I can hear it. But when the engine's on, the fluid doesn't move.

So here are my questions:
How in the heck do I find the leak? There's no fluid coming out anywhere except the reservoir neck and all the parts are new: 3rd steering gear, 3rd pump, all new hoses last year. How does it suck air in but not push fluid out? Shouldn't there be a wet connection somewhere??
Why does fluid push out when engine off but not when on? Why does turning right push fluid out?
Heeelllllllpppppppppppppppppppppp

Old 02-08-2021, 07:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Same problem before replacing the lines?

Just power steering, right? No hydra-boost, or any other things running off the pump?

Old 02-08-2021, 07:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I wonder if your box isn't failed internally. Your problems stopped me from getting a redhead which is crappy because they are the only ones that will tap for hydro assist.

Maybe try the dye you put in the fluid?

Old 02-09-2021, 12:25 AM
Ramman18
Champion

No boost just standard setup with the stock cooler. It's done this for years. Just trying to fix it constantly. Last year I did the 3rd pump and new lines thinking it was sucking air through a bad hose. It's getting air from somewhere and I can't figure out where. What will the dye do? There's no visible leak anywhere.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

In your case, I don't think dye will help. Maybe put a pressure gauge on the high side line, and have someone turn the wheels, see what pressures are doing?

Old 02-09-2021, 06:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

bled a million times.
How are you bleeding it? Got a link to what you did before? Has it done this since you put the red head in?

Old 02-09-2021, 11:41 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Jack up the front axle, turn wheels lock to lock until arms fall off. This is the "initial operation" procedure or whatever the book calls it. Also what everybody on the web says.

Except in my case, the fluid pushes out when turning right, so it's a little hard to bleed. You can audibly hear it sucking and gurgling when turning left, and turning right it pushes out fluid. THIS IS NOT NORMAL. Yet there's no visible leak anywhere.

Yes, I have had trouble for years. Here's a synopsis:
- Track bar changed in 2008. Loose steering started. replaced with Thuren bar in 2009 and had alignment done. Still sucked with no return. Lived with until 2017.
- Installed lift kit in 2010. Had alignment done. Still sloppy and wandered.
- Learned alignment was way off and corrected it myself (no more shops for me). This was 2011. Still no return. Lived with 5 more years.
- Did T steering in 2016. Much tighter and firmer. Still no return.
- Finally broke down and ordered Redhead in 2017.
- The first Redhead with first pump was super stiff and wouldn't return. Changed pump but that didn't help. Redhead said to break their own rule and loosen the adjuster nut on top of the gear. Then the Redhead was sloppy and dead. Redhead said return for exchange.
- Second Redhead goes in, much better steering and tracking. Pump is noisy and doesn't want to return. Lived with this for several years.
- Get third pump (new from Rockauto), finally have pressure and return, still noisy. This was 2020.
- One issue is Redhead ships with incorrect ATF. The pump needs regular PS oil. Several flushes later with PS oil, pump is much quieter but is moody: one day light, next day stiff. Can never get all the red out. Oil is pink to this day.
- Get all new hoses and pressure lines. Everything tight and perfect. No change. More flushing. More bleeding. No improvement.
- Checked alignment again notice control arm bushings shot. Get new bushings, finally get castor set. Set positive castor: a little towards cab (1pm from left, 11am from right). Steering is less sloppy, still noisy pump.
- Re-bleed in driveway and spews a quart on ground because it pushes up with turning right. Tiny bubbles visible in pump reservoir. Pump is less noisy but still not happy. I'm pissed at the mess. This was a few weeks ago.
- See videos for vacuum bleeding. Purchased pump but need to order super rare cone-shaped adapter yet.
- Yesterday I check linkage and pump. Notice the sucking sound and started new thread. I just want to know why it pushes fluid up. Is it the pump or a valve in the gear is bad? Has anyone seen this before? How can it suck air without pushing fluid out somewhere with the cap on? If the cap is on, there's no visible leak anywhere.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

With the engine off, the only thing affecting the fluid is going to be the steering box....... so, something is up with the box. Any warranty left on it? Had a chat with the manufacturer?

Old 02-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion

That's what I'm figuring out.

I called Redhead today and spoke to someone who would have a "tech" call me. Of course, they called when I wasn't available. I've tried a dozen more times. Will keep at them.

Also stopped in to chat with three different mechanics. First two had no clue. Third one said it was the box and they used to run Redheads but had too many duds. Recommended PSE, Dodge, or Oreillys of all places. They seemed reputable and had lots of trucks and knowledge. So I think you're right, HeyYou. Stupid luck.

Get a Redhead they said. It'll be fun they said. #$%^&*(*&^%$#$%^&*

Old 02-09-2021, 06:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
That's what I'm figuring out.

I called Redhead today and spoke to someone who would have a "tech" call me. Of course, they called when I wasn't available. I've tried a dozen more times. Will keep at them.

Also stopped in to chat with three different mechanics. First two had no clue. Third one said it was the box and they used to run Redheads but had too many duds. Recommended PSE, Dodge, or Oreillys of all places. They seemed reputable and had lots of trucks and knowledge. So I think you're right, HeyYou. Stupid luck.

Get a Redhead they said. It'll be fun they said. #$%^&*(*&^%$#$%^&*
Problem is Redhead is the only company that made reusable boxes for these trucks. The dye might have shown you a leak that you might not have been able to see. Sorry man you had this many problems with a "Good" company

Quick Reply: As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga