2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 06:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Oil is pink to this day.
It is sucking in air from somewhere, Has to be the return line or fittings. The other line is pressure so it cant get in there.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:34 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
It is sucking in air from somewhere, Has to be the return line or fittings. The other line is pressure so it cant get in there.
That's what I'm thinking. But everything is tight and new and dry. Wouldn't it force fluid out once the pump runs? One mechanic said the pump isn't the culprit if its off. Only the gear can push fluid up and out. Maybe this weekend I can get my girl to help me. Someone needs to turn slowly while I listen down there. Thanks, guys, this at least helps me understand what I am figuring out.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:28 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Tim from Redhead just called me and we talked awhile. We went through all the options and he believes there's still air in the system that just won't get out. While I understand this, I also believe it's sucking air in when turning left because I hear "air sucky" noises. He told me how he would bleed it and to try again. Turn the wheel at one revolution per second without stopping at the end. I said okay, but that's what I did a week ago and all it did was make a massive mess all over my driveway. If it still doesn't work, he did offer $50 off a new reman box which I might do. My purchase goes back to 2016 so there's no warranty. I guess I'll tackle it one more time and see how much mess I can make. Stay tuned for more drama on . . . .

AS......THE ....WHEEEELL TURRNNNNS......

Old 02-10-2021, 11:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

At least they got back with you..... Good Luck, and let us know what you find.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:10 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This wont help much but when I tore apart my front differential ( for a 3.00 seal ) I had to turn the steering back and forth( not running ) to gain access to the fasteners. Did it one time, to the right, and noticed it was pushing fluid out of the reservoir cap. When pushing it to the left no fluid would come out. I did not hear it trying to suck any air, then again I'm pretty fricking deaf. This is still the original PS pump. This is the only thing I haven't replaced on the front of the engine. I believe their are 2 valves in the pump. A pressure regulating and control valve. It could be a valve not closing completely. I can't believe this has happened on three different pumps though.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:19 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by 1SaltyGreenBean
This wont help much but when I tore apart my front differential ( for a 3.00 seal ) I had to turn the steering back and forth( not running ) to gain access to the fasteners. Did it one time, to the right, and noticed it was pushing fluid out of the reservoir cap. When pushing it to the left no fluid would come out. I did not hear it trying to suck any air, then again I'm pretty fricking deaf. This is still the original PS pump. This is the only thing I haven't replaced on the front of the engine. I believe their are 2 valves in the pump. A pressure regulating and control valve. It could be a valve not closing completely. I can't believe this has happened on three different pumps though.
Now that's interesting. Anyone out there want to test this for me on your truck? Jack it up, take off your cap and turn the wheel? Any fluid come out?

Old 02-10-2021, 02:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Now that's interesting. Anyone out there want to test this for me on your truck? Jack it up, take off your cap and turn the wheel? Any fluid come out?
Mine does just did it. Doesn't know if it matters but I'm running ATF+4

Old 02-10-2021, 02:59 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Mine does just did it. Doesn't know if it matters but I'm running ATF+4
Thanks, Mopar! The pumps require regular PS fluid, fyi.

Sooooooo,, how does one bleed the system when it just pushes fluid out?!?!?!?!?!

Old 02-10-2021, 03:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Thanks, Mopar! The pumps require regular PS fluid, fyi.

Sooooooo,, how does one bleed the system when it just pushes fluid out?!?!?!?!?!
I noticed when I did it really slow it didn't. I know they take PS fluid but mine seems to run better and quiet on ATF. It turns my 40s just fine at a standstill. I mean I was moving the wheel about one turn every 30 seconds

Old 02-10-2021, 06:40 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

After you let it sit over night where is the fluid level in the reservoir? Start it after sitting overnight and look at the fluid and see if it gets mixed with air without moving the steering wheel. One thing you could try is after it sits overnight take both the pressure and return lines off and put them in a cup or something filled with PS fluid. Get the wheels off the ground then turn it left-right and see if the fluid goes down or comes out mixed with air. Yet another you may try is get a helper, If the fluid stay air free after starting have someone turn the wheel. As soon as you see air in the fluid shut the truck off and let it sit till the air in the reservoir dissipates, Then repeat the process. You want to keep clean fluid going into the steering gear and not mixed with air.

The following users liked this post:
1SaltyGreenBean (02-10-2021)

Quick Reply: As the WHEEL TURNS (or doesn't) continued steering saga