2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjustable track bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 10:01 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adjustable track bar

Ran into another problem with the truck last week. I put on longtube headers. I have a 2 inch leveling kit with the stock track bar. So the front end is shifted to the drivers side enough that when I go into a right hand turn the front driveshaft will just contact the header. I bought an adjustable track bar that came yesterday and it’s is missing parts and it’s not made right. It has adjustable ends on both sides but both are right hand thread so no way to adjust while it’s on the truck. I looked at a spohn bar but wondered what everyone else is running with leveling kits.

https://www.spohn.net/shop/1994-1999...2500-3500.html

Old 02-14-2021, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Spohn has been around just this side of forever. I became familiar with them back in the 90's, with my third gen Firebird.... (they still make suspension parts for them as well.) They use good materials, and that translates into making good stuff. I think the trackbar you are looking at there will be great. No idea about the longevity of the joints, (as they are exposed) but, they are also rebuildable..... For the money they are asking, I think that's a winner. (and will likely tighten up your steering as well. )

Old 02-14-2021, 10:27 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Spohn has been around just this side of forever. I became familiar with them back in the 90's, with my third gen Firebird.... (they still make suspension parts for them as well.) They use good materials, and that translates into making good stuff. I think the trackbar you are looking at there will be great. No idea about the longevity of the joints, (as they are exposed) but, they are also rebuildable..... For the money they are asking, I think that's a winner. (and will likely tighten up your steering as well. )
I have installed a rock solid steering fix a new steering shaft new steering box and all new ball joints. Just need to get the track bar and a steering brace.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure how I feel about the steering box brace..... especially if you off-road regularly. The one that ties to both sides of the frame is rumored to put excessive side-loads on the pitman shaft on the steering box..... Now, I haven't heard of any failures related to that, or even seals going bad faster than expected..... so, maybe its just paranoia.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:23 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Not sure how I feel about the steering box brace..... especially if you off-road regularly. The one that ties to both sides of the frame is rumored to put excessive side-loads on the pitman shaft on the steering box..... Now, I haven't heard of any failures related to that, or even seals going bad faster than expected..... so, maybe its just paranoia.
well the truck doesn’t really do much off road other then in in my fields on my farm. I have been running a brace on my 11 since new and no issues yet. But it is only a tow rig so.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:29 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

I use the Solid Steel adjustable track bar and relocation bracket (http://www.solidsteel.biz/trackbars.htm). It's extremely well made and has poly-urethane bushings on each loop end of the bar. The track bar will outlast the truck. I also run Spohn control arms with poly-urethane bushings on the truck and those have worked out well.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I use the Solid Steel adjustable track bar and relocation bracket (http://www.solidsteel.biz/trackbars.htm). It's extremely well made and has poly-urethane bushings on each loop end of the bar. The track bar will outlast the truck. I also run Spohn control arms with poly-urethane bushings on the truck and those have worked out well.
Did the stiffer control arms/bushings make a noticeable difference in how the truck drives?

Old 02-14-2021, 01:18 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
was their any reason you did not go with the spohn bar?

Old 02-14-2021, 02:33 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

See I really flex my truck (I'll get a pic) and the front frame being boxed doesn't flex like the rear. So I don't see how it could do that, unless their frames were flexing.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I notice sophn is more expensive plus they ask if you need a TBK? No clue what that is. But eBay has a Sophn knock off for $250

Quick Reply: Adjustable track bar