2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 11:22 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission upgrades

I got a 96 1500 with 5.9 auto. The motor is mildly built . I installed a deep tranny oil pan with an larger tran oil cooler. Also removed the cat and added magnaflow muffler. Truck has 33" tires and recently got 4.10 gears . The truck is great and torquey in low end situations but towing it's a real dog even with a little trailer with 2 quads. Is it possible to beef up these trannys and get them shifting better and more responsive? I love this rig but I need a 3/4 ton more and more it seems

Old 02-24-2021, 01:49 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If you're having trouble towing 2 quads with a 5.9 and 4.10s, it's not the tranny that has the problem. But yes, there are shift kits, valve bodies, etc. that will help shifts.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Have you addressed the plenum gasket issue?

Old 02-24-2021, 07:34 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparite
Have you addressed the plenum gasket issue?
no not yet. I haven't heard the vacuum for it yet

Old 02-24-2021, 07:35 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ramman18
If you're having trouble towing 2 quads with a 5.9 and 4.10s, it's not the tranny that has the problem. But yes, there are shift kits, valve bodies, etc. that will help shifts.
I think the big 33s are the problem.but there handy for off roading

Old 02-24-2021, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

33's and 4.10 gears should be just fine for what you are towing. I would be checking the plenum, and also seriously considering replacing the timing chain/gears.

How old are your O2 sensors? Last time the truck had a tune up? What spark plugs ya got in there? Last time trans was serviced?

What shifting problems are you having?? Not towing in O/D are you?

Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
33's and 4.10 gears should be just fine for what you are towing. I would be checking the plenum, and also seriously considering replacing the timing chain/gears.

How old are your O2 sensors? Last time the truck had a tune up? What spark plugs ya got in there? Last time trans was serviced?

What shifting problems are you having?? Not towing in O/D are you?
What do you consider tune up besides oil plugs throttle body and sensors ?
Cat is deleted So I'm assuming one 02 sensor is gone,? I just put champion plugs in. I changed the trans filer and oil when I installed the deeper pan . About 15 000 km ago. There's no problems shifting . It's just a sluggish truck seems like. I only turn off overdrive when I'm towing my camper which makes it even more of a dog haha.

As far as the plenum I'm not noticing any oil consumption or vacuum. But I think I should tackle it. Was thinking of getting the air gap instead then I can finally get a tune from flying Ryan. Are these air gaps worth the money?? It's like 800 canadian for me so it's a big decision. Or should I just get the plate.

I love this truck I just want it to wake up. Maybe my aftermarket cam is the problem?

Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Cap/rotor/plugs/wires/air filter/pcv valve. (pcv from dealer please, they are actually the correct flow rate.)

I would at least take a look at the plenum, if you see oil in there, (wet) then you have a problem.

Since your truck is a 96, the important O2 sensor was mounted on the cat..... if that one isn't there anymore, the truck isn't going to run as good as it should. But then, you should be getting codes for it being missing as well. Rear O2 doesn't matter quite so much, but, if it's missing, the computer will whine about that too.

Air Gap by itself is a lot of money, for not much gain. In my view, air-gap isn't worth it, unless you are doing other extensive changes to the motor. (cam, heads, pistons)

On my truck, just changing the timing chain/gears make a MAJOR difference in how the truck ran. I was stunned by how much peppier it felt. Of course, my truck was pushing 200K miles at that point, so, the chain was REALLY stretched.

Wait, what? Aftermarket cam? Which one? (link please) How long ago was that installed? Did you change the timing set as well??

Old 02-24-2021, 10:15 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Cap/rotor/plugs/wires/air filter/pcv valve. (pcv from dealer please, they are actually the correct flow rate.)

I would at least take a look at the plenum, if you see oil in there, (wet) then you have a problem.

Since your truck is a 96, the important O2 sensor was mounted on the cat..... if that one isn't there anymore, the truck isn't going to run as good as it should. But then, you should be getting codes for it being missing as well. Rear O2 doesn't matter quite so much, but, if it's missing, the computer will whine about that too.

Air Gap by itself is a lot of money, for not much gain. In my view, air-gap isn't worth it, unless you are doing other extensive changes to the motor. (cam, heads, pistons)

On my truck, just changing the timing chain/gears make a MAJOR difference in how the truck ran. I was stunned by how much peppier it felt. Of course, my truck was pushing 200K miles at that point, so, the chain was REALLY stretched.

Wait, what? Aftermarket cam? Which one? (link please) How long ago was that installed? Did you change the timing set as well??

Good to know cause I don't really wanna pay what that airgap is worth maybe I should look into just the plate .I didn't get a single code after the cat was deleted. I posted my build sheet on here before and yes I belive the timing set was replaced

Old 02-24-2021, 10:17 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

I should look into the pcv ive never changed mine. Motor had 190k on it when was built now its at 230

Quick Reply: Transmission upgrades