2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't find transmission cooler line

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:03 PM
Boswell Farmer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find transmission cooler line

Hey yall,
So I have a 1996 V10 and a couple of weeks ago I started installing a transmission temp gauge. I decided to do an inline one because I thought it would be easy to cut the line and screw on the bits. Well, they gave me two different sizes of T's and I held the brass ring of the smaller one up to the line to check if that was the right size and it slipped out of my hand and into the cooler line. I was pissed. Luckily, it was the short end that I had just cut coming from the transmission so I started taking the line off and, I broke the connection. So again, pissed. so I started looking for a replacement line and lo and behold these suckers are hard to find! So I guess they stopped making them in October and now I can't find one anywhere. I have ordered one from napa and one from a dealer and they both thought it was the right thing but both times the male threaded part of the line is too big. ( which is really annoying because I even asked the guy at the dealership to measure the diameter and he have me the wrong measurement) I'm wondering if folks have another place to look or if by some crazy chance someone has a line I can buy off of you. Also I'm starting to wonder if someone put a different transmission in here or something idk. I'm just feeling very stuck and wondering if anyone has any insights at all.
Thanks!

Old 03-01-2021, 06:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

What size is the line? You might be able to just pick up a short piece of the correct size from your local parts store, re-use your old flare nut, and call it a day.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Boswell Farmer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the flare nut is what I busted. Also, I think I'm just an idiot and didn't realize that they make connector pieces that can connect the bigger thread to a smaller thread until just now in calling some folks. Well that was a 250 dollar mistake considering I ordered the more expensive line. I just figured if it was the right line it should fit but o look at my folly.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Ooops.

Quick Reply: Can't find transmission cooler line