2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 08:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you're like me (and I know I am) I'd want to get it working and not worry about it. When I fixed my Escalade a couple of years ago, I went ahead and replaced the compressor too. That way you don't have an old one fail and dump a bunch of metal junk in the system you have to clean out. I'd even go so far as to replace the serpentine belt if it's got much age on it.
​​​​​​Problem is where I'm at Rockauto is looking at weeks to get parts here. I added a little bit of oil to the new (used) condenser tonight and charged it to 40 according to the gauge. I am like you but a little impatient as my girlfriend competing of the heat and my truck gets hot (I didn't put the exhaust heat shields back on so maybe that's why lol).

Everytime the gauge went to 40 the compressor kicked on them off for about a second. Is that normal?

Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

What was high pressure side doing?

Should be a chart on the side of the can telling you what low pressure should be, for the given ambient temp. At idle, the compressor should run pretty much constantly.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What was high pressure side doing?

Should be a chart on the side of the can telling you what low pressure should be, for the given ambient temp. At idle, the compressor should run pretty much constantly.
I just bought the can you put on the low pressure side. Reading up on it you should not charge AC when it's below 55° and it was around 48° out. So I will try and recharge it tomorrow. If not I found a shop that will do everything for $80 and I'll take it to them. But I like doing things myself :b

Old 03-27-2021, 09:18 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I know there is a chart for how much oil to add depending on what you replace. It's a bit of a guess since all the oil gets spread out within the whole system. When my evaporator sprung a leak i put the oil in the new receiver/dryer then bypassed the low pressure switch so the compressor would help circulate it while i refilled it. If you like to things yourself it would pay to get a set of gauges and vacuum pump.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I have two sets of manifold gauges. R-134 and R-12. This lets me read the drop between high and low side. The charge in a can is handy, but I prefer to do it with proper pressures. I generally won't charge a system when the air temperature in below the 70;s as I use a stick thermometer to test the output temperature. If the compressor is kicking out, the low pressure safety switch is cutting it out. It's supposed to do that. It keeps the compressor from grenading.

As for the GF's complaints about heat from the floor, if Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy. Get some thick floor mats.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I have two sets of manifold gauges. R-134 and R-12. This lets me read the drop between high and low side. The charge in a can is handy, but I prefer to do it with proper pressures. I generally won't charge a system when the air temperature in below the 70;s as I use a stick thermometer to test the output temperature. If the compressor is kicking out, the low pressure safety switch is cutting it out. It's supposed to do that. It keeps the compressor from grenading.

As for the GF's complaints about heat from the floor, if Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy. Get some thick floor mats.
to be honest this is my first time charging AC so I found out you read the pressure when the compressor kicked on (it went down to 20) so I charged it come more and the compressor stays on and stay at about 30. Blows cold. Can you use manifold gauges with the can of freon?

As for the girlfriend I even added a sound and heat barrier to the floor under the carpet. I don't think it gets hot but she does. It's only a cool 63 out but I can tell the difference between AC and regular cold air, so I believe it's working .

Old 03-27-2021, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
to be honest this is my first time charging AC so I found out you read the pressure when the compressor kicked on (it went down to 20) so I charged it come more and the compressor stays on and stay at about 30. Blows cold. Can you use manifold gauges with the can of freon?

As for the girlfriend I even added a sound and heat barrier to the floor under the carpet. I don't think it gets hot but she does. It's only a cool 63 out but I can tell the difference between AC and regular cold air, so I believe it's working .
Our opinion doesn't count. Take the girlfriend for a ride, see what SHE thinks.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:50 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21

The gauge manifolds have three hoses. Blue for low pressure, red for high pressure and yellow for input/output. When pumping the system down, the vacuum pump is attached to the yellow. When you charge the system, you use a can tap to access the can. Now, as the old style cans are used, you have to get an adapter for the can tap.The newer cans aren't pierced but have a little valve on the top.This way the can is able to be removed. The old taps have to stay in place until the can is depleted. Now, there is also a can tap to pierce the side of the can and keep it at an angle to the can is able to be used. These cannot be removed unless you want to waste refrigerant.

I always like to add a small shot of UV dye to track leaks. You can get a can with 5 shots of dye. Be sure to use the safety glasses that came with your UV test light. The UV WILL damage your eyes. At the very least, it can cause cataracts. Those are not cheap. $11,000 for two before insurance if you want the good lenses.

As for the girlfriend feeling warm, are you sure it's the heat through the floor and not your animal magnetism?

Old 03-28-2021, 07:58 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Our opinion doesn't count. Take the girlfriend for a ride, see what SHE thinks.
Then I have to hear her complain that the truck doesn't have steps

Old 03-28-2021, 07:59 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The gauge manifolds have three hoses. Blue for low pressure, red for high pressure and yellow for input/output. When pumping the system down, the vacuum pump is attached to the yellow. When you charge the system, you use a can tap to access the can. Now, as the old style cans are used, you have to get an adapter for the can tap.The newer cans aren't pierced but have a little valve on the top.This way the can is able to be removed. The old taps have to stay in place until the can is depleted. Now, there is also a can tap to pierce the side of the can and keep it at an angle to the can is able to be used. These cannot be removed unless you want to waste refrigerant.

I always like to add a small shot of UV dye to track leaks. You can get a can with 5 shots of dye. Be sure to use the safety glasses that came with your UV test light. The UV WILL damage your eyes. At the very least, it can cause cataracts. Those are not cheap. $11,000 for two before insurance if you want the good lenses.

As for the girlfriend feeling warm, are you sure it's the heat through the floor and not your animal magnetism?
So it's setup just like when I did HVAC due houses that's good to know.

That last part 😂😂

Quick Reply: AC Oil