2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage too low (P1764)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 11:28 PM
Ramchie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage too low (P1764)

Okay so to recap- I just did a head gasket/valve job. Truck is running and cooling. Last issues are with the second oxygen senor (P0137), issues with a vacuum in the fuel pressure/ it not getting air, and now potentially a faulty Governor Pressure Sensor.

The first two issues I mainly mention just in case they pertain to the governor pressure switch. I understand that the oxygen senor being disconnected would cause the truck to run rough, I plan on lookin into that. I don't know what to do except order a new senor and just let it dangle somewhere as for now my exhaust in mostly disconnected.

Anyways- how common is this issue to prop up right after some other work. A lot of was cleared out of the way and reconnected. I did a thorough job but maybe something was fouled up. I did disconnect the transmission lines from the radiator, but when I had the truck running again I topped it off with atf+4. I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start from here. https://www.*********.com/threads/er...-p1764.568433/ this link they talk about a ball sticking. in the line I disconnected. Other threads they say it's the pcm, or the solenoid.

I need some help with diagnosing the issue, and terminology so I can find the right resources to help me find the parts I am looking for/ how to videos would be greatly appreciated. Understanding what their function is also helps me wrap my head around it. The solenoid and the sensor control pressure? I am not one to check my transmission fluid often and I am not positive how it should look while running, but I notice after the truck has driven for about an hour the fluid on the dipstick is bubbly. Not sure if that is common for transmission fluid or if that is a clear sign of it being too hot/ air in the lines or something.

97' 1500 5.9

Last edited by Ramchie; 04-01-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:37 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Would just flushing the transmission get me anywhere?

If not, my current thinking is - start with the hose going to radiator
if that doesn't work figure out how the governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor is wired up and check those connections
next replace governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor.

If that doesn't work I guess my tranny is just screwed? It takes a minute to get into reverse. Clangs a little when it does. Struggles a little to get into 2nd and 3rd, doesn't love hills. All these issues go away in top gear. While these issues have been around for a while, I wasn't getting the code and it was barely noticeable. They are noticeable now.

Last edited by Ramchie; 04-01-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

There is an 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back. That is for all the internal stuff in the trans. There is a 12 volt feed for the TCC and O/D solenoids, a 5 volt feed for pressure sensor, and then wires for the control/signal side of the various things in there. Wires have been known to try and pull out of that connector, and that can cause various problems..... also, since you were working on the top end of the engine, the harness may have gotten pinched somewhere up there as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
Frank Guerra (04-04-2021), John Call (04-14-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:12 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is an 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back. That is for all the internal stuff in the trans. There is a 12 volt feed for the TCC and O/D solenoids, a 5 volt feed for pressure sensor, and then wires for the control/signal side of the various things in there. Wires have been known to try and pull out of that connector, and that can cause various problems..... also, since you were working on the top end of the engine, the harness may have gotten pinched somewhere up there as well.

From what I can see- all the cables are in okay shape. All seem connected.

What is this? I'm starting to think all my issues pertaining to an issue with fuel pressure... I'm not sure but it seems like tyranny sensor uses it?

Last edited by Ramchie; 04-04-2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: tyranny of the tranny
Old 04-04-2021, 06:39 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Another thing of note, was pushing a trailer in reverse and engine died on me. Had to hop out open the gas tank to turn it back on

Old 04-04-2021, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's the charcoal canister, part of the evaporative emissions system on the truck. I am going to guess that your tank is building a vaccum, and then it can't pump gas. Purge valve on the tank stuck shut?

Old 04-04-2021, 08:39 PM
Ramchie
Professional

I have been looking through forums such as https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...onnection.html and Im wondering how deep this goes.

I have a hose with a plastic cork in it on the passenger side under the hood. I replaced the fuel pump a while back and the hose going to a piece on top of the fuel pump had a hole cut in it. I replaced the hose but Ive always wondered if that hole was serving as a solution.

Ive read about the charcoal canister getting clogged. I guess I could attempt to circumvent it and see how the truck runs.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:45 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's the charcoal canister, part of the evaporative emissions system on the truck. I am going to guess that your tank is building a vaccum, and then it can't pump gas. Purge valve on the tank stuck shut?
Is the purge valve the same thing as the tank purge solenoid? Are there two of those, one under hood and one in the back inside the fuel tank? Is it the thing that has an o ring and pops in the hole on top of the fuel pump. When I google for purge valve I get pictures of what I understand to be the tank purge solenoid under the hood.

edit- ok the thing I am talking about is the rollover valve. Is that what you are referring to when you say purge valve on the tank or are you referring to the 'solenoid' or whatever in my picture (under the hood)? I just replaced the solenoid under the hood (for the second time in a year and a half).

Last edited by Ramchie; 04-04-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:48 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Is there any diagrams on the evaporative emissions system? That would be so helpful. It goes everywhere.

edit: nevermind on that one

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ow-to-fix.html

Last edited by Ramchie; 04-04-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be everything you need in the service manual.

Quick Reply: Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage too low (P1764)