2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

abs brakes on obd1 system

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 10:39 PM
rickyb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry abs brakes on obd1 system

Hi all.
I have been dealing with my 1995 1500 4 x4 with 4 wheel abs pulling to the right when i step on the brakes . This has been going on for years and i have tried multiple time to have it fixed with out much luck at least for long times. It seems when i put new rotors on and pads plus calipers it runs great for a couple hundred miles then develops again the pull to the right. I have replaced every past in the suspension plus bushings to not help at all. The front right abs sensor went bad so i replaced it the same time as a new set of rotors plus pads were put on. It seemed to work fine again like i said for a bout 500 miles now it is back to the same pulling to the right. Nobody can figure it out and being it is obd 1 finding a scanner to check the abs module is very hard is impossible to find a shop who can check this. I even called some dealers and they say that some are not diagnosing anything back before 2008. So any ideas how to check abs with out a good scanner. any questions please ask.
Thanks rick

Old 05-30-2021, 12:48 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb1
Hi all.
I have been dealing with my 1995 1500 4 x4 with 4 wheel abs pulling to the right when i step on the brakes . This has been going on for years and i have tried multiple time to have it fixed with out much luck at least for long times. It seems when i put new rotors on and pads plus calipers it runs great for a couple hundred miles then develops again the pull to the right. I have replaced every past in the suspension plus bushings to not help at all. The front right abs sensor went bad so i replaced it the same time as a new set of rotors plus pads were put on. It seemed to work fine again like i said for a bout 500 miles now it is back to the same pulling to the right. Nobody can figure it out and being it is obd 1 finding a scanner to check the abs module is very hard is impossible to find a shop who can check this. I even called some dealers and they say that some are not diagnosing anything back before 2008. So any ideas how to check abs with out a good scanner. any questions please ask.
Thanks rick
That's a tough one and I don't have much experience with OBD1. I would say that for some reason that one is grabbing harder. Could be the following (and I know it doesn't help) caliper, air in the left side, ABS sensor left side, or abs module

Old 05-30-2021, 07:22 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

If the abs light is not on there isn't a code, It doesn't sound like a abs issue anyway. Have you replaced the brake hoses at the wheels? After it starts pulling take it home and release the bleeder screw, If fluid comes out it's holding pressure causing the wheel to drag. I had this issue and it was the brake hose metal support got so rusted it compressed the hose trapping the fluid pressure in.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:19 AM
rickyb1

Hi,
The abs light had come on in the past but this was a bad sensor on the right front side. I replaced both of them at the same time about a year ago or less then 1000 miles. The pulling to the right had been a problem before the sensor was a issue. I think this was just a coincidence. It is at a shop right now and they are looking at everything . They are focusing on the abs system now as they have had it for 2 days going in to the holiday. It is a spare vehicle and they are not charging me until they figure it out. Again the vehicle is OBD 1 and if it was OBD 2 i could grab a OBD 2 scanner and probably scan the ABS my self and even test the valves to bleed them or test them make sure air is not causing the issue being these modules are sensitive to air.
Thanks for any help.
The question i originally asked besides looking for answers is does any one still have OBD 1 scanner that are dealer grade to scan the system. It seems not.
I did replace like i said everything on front end plus all brake components(caliper, disc , pads , brake lines). This is the third set of pads and rotors as the other had got some rust on them from sitting at times. So natural wear and tear. I also replaced the front hubs (bearings) as they come in one assembly. to make sure it was not a bearing issue even though this was low on the list. The new calipers also were just a thought being one could be sticking but did not fix the issue even though replaced.

Last edited by rickyb1; 05-30-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

The soft lines have been replaced?

Old 05-30-2021, 10:52 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb1
Hi,
The abs light had come on in the past but this was a bad sensor on the right front side. I replaced both of them at the same time about a year ago or less then 1000 miles. The pulling to the right had been a problem before the sensor was a issue. I think this was just a coincidence. It is at a shop right now and they are looking at everything . They are focusing on the abs system now as they have had it for 2 days going in to the holiday. It is a spare vehicle and they are not charging me until they figure it out. Again the vehicle is OBD 1 and if it was OBD 2 i could grab a OBD 2 scanner and probably scan the ABS my self and even test the valves to bleed them or test them make sure air is not causing the issue being these modules are sensitive to air.
Thanks for any help.
The question i originally asked besides looking for answers is does any one still have OBD 1 scanner that are dealer grade to scan the system. It seems not.
I did replace like i said everything on front end plus all brake components(caliper, disc , pads , brake lines). This is the third set of pads and rotors as the other had got some rust on them from sitting at times. So natural wear and tear. I also replaced the front hubs (bearings) as they come in one assembly. to make sure it was not a bearing issue even though this was low on the list. The new calipers also were just a thought being one could be sticking but did not fix the issue even though replaced.
All my shop level scan tools can scan OBD1

Old 05-30-2021, 12:32 PM
rickyb1

yes all the lines have been replaced.
Can your scan tools be set to bleed the abs system??
What type and are you one of the rare ones to keep obd 1 scanner around

Old 05-30-2021, 12:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can bleed the abs controller the 'fun' way...... Find a stretch of dirt road that is relatively smooth, and not well-traveled. Run the truck up to about 30 mph, and SLAM on the brakes. The idea is to get the truck to do that anti-lock dance a couple times. Then, you go home, and bleed the brakes as normal.

Old 05-30-2021, 02:10 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

The SnapOn MT2500 scanner should be able to scan your OBD1 with the appropriate cartridge and connector/adapter for your Dodge OBD1 plug on your truck. These scanners still pop up on local Craigslists and Facebook Marketplace regularly.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

And they work on vehicles up to 2006. Not bi-directional.... but, still, a very useful tool.

Quick Reply: abs brakes on obd1 system