2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 05:43 PM
Dodgemonkey95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re shifting issues

I'm starting this thread to try and lay out a bit more of a detailed explanation of symptoms than I had done in another thread with "Hey You." (Sorry, don't know how to link users on this forum.)

So about 2 weeks ago I swapped in a rebuilt 46 re into my 2001 Ram 1500 4x4. The original transmission was due for rebuild for a while, and eventually wouldn't stay in drive and I was left stranded while revving at 5000 rpm. I assumed torque converter and pump so I purchased a used transmission, supposedly in good condition.

When I swapped in the donor trans, I flushed the cooler and changed the transfer case fluid at the same time. I also installed a different torque converter.

The transmission ran great for a few days. Crisp, clean shifts and no slipping in any gear. On day 3, I noticed a shudder while accelerating from a dead stop after the trans fully warmed up. Same thing on day 4, but this time when shifting from gears 2-3. It seemed almost like it was trying to get into 3rd, but slipped in and out 4 or 5 times before grabbing. When I pulled into the driveway at the end of that drive, the truck stalled. I put it in park and restarted and it idled great in park and neutral, but stalled as soon as I shifted into drive or reverse. I gave it a shot of gas while shifting and managed to get it to idle in gear. The engine no longer stalled but the tranny shifted into D and R very hard. At this point, Hey You recommended checking the governor pressure sensor/solenoid, as well as the crank sensor.

The next day I took it down the road to try and get a better idea of the symptoms. I drove about 1km away to the drive thru for a coffee and felt it shift out of gear while waiting in line. When it shifted back into gear, I drove away immediately and dealt with it slipping the rest of the ride home. It began doing the same thing the original transmission did before failing: slipping out of gear for a second, then back in until eventually. In both cases the failure happened in less than 50 km after symptoms began.

Now, when shifting from park to drive or reverse, it goes into gear but slips back out after moving 3-5 inches. It works in both D and R, but stopping and switching between the two will not allow it to engage the oppostie direction. Fluid is full and appears red on the dipstick, but hard to tell perfectly.

Just looking for a few additional ideas on what to check and/or what parts to replace? As suggested, I will be replacing the governor pressure sensor/solenoid, but I guess I just want some suggestions on what else to look for. Maybe the TC or accumulator are damaged? Valve body rebuild?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-08-2021, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Change the governor stuff ,and see how that shakes out. Mine would drop into neutral at low speed maneuvering as well... and the governor stuff, plus the output speed sensor (I figgered, might just as well) solved most of it. It still likes to hold 1st gear sometimes. Other times, it works perfectly.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:16 PM
Dodgemonkey95

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. I'm dreading that the TC is bad and I have to do the whole job over again. I just needed something to settle my nerves down until I can get this done

Old 07-10-2021, 01:04 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Try this first. When you are driving. Move the shift to low gear and as you drive move the shifter up to drive. Does the transmission shift? Something when slowing down. If that works, Then it maybe the solenoids Also check your connection going the valve body on the transmission case. If the transmission doesn't shift, Order a valve body assy. .

Old 07-14-2021, 05:39 PM
Dodgemonkey95

To be honest I'm afraid that if I take it out of the driveway I may not get it back home. I did manage to move it to a different area of the yard over the weekend, so I'm wondering if the issues don't present themselves until the transmission warms up. Might have to try another test drive

Quick Reply: 46re shifting issues