2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It was one of those days - don't drive angry

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default It was one of those days - don't drive angry

(Putting this in tech because I'm not sure what that sound was. Part story, part question.)

Had a rough day yesterday, things just weren't going right, my thoughts were eating me alive, and it was hot and very smoky here.

Was trying to do some work in the yard and smashed my finger with a hammer so that didn't help. Started getting pretty testy at things and a few items found their way flying across the yard. Then I couldn't figure out how to build a box with some 2x4s and my plans were failing me. Everything started annoying me and I just got angrier.

Ever have one of those days?

Had an appointment to meet a venue with the fiancee for wedding plans and had to pick up some things at her place first to bring to her. Never got the box built, grrrrr. Since it was hot out, I grabbed one of my Harleys and ran over. Forgot my backpack so I had to come back. GRRRR. Got behind the slowwwwest driver. Blew by her and got even angrier. grrrRRR. As I skid back into my driveway, I had the wisdom to realize I should NOT ride when this mad. Got into my truck instead and headed out. Figured I'd cool off with AC and crank some tunes.

Fought tons of traffic all the way there. Stupid people. Stupid drivers. Stupid WA won't improve roads. Stupid Ipod in my truck keeps cutting out. GRRRRRRR

Found the place, see fiancee who waves me into a parking spot. Of course, it was tiny and I had to do a 3 point turn in reverse. Super pissed at this point so I figured I'd take it out on my truck.

I threw it in reverse and rev'd the crap out it, slipping it heavily as I backed up very fast. When I slammed on the brakes and pushed the clutch in, the truck shook and I felt and heard a crazy rotational sound like the engine was spinning out of the frame. The whole truck shook with this vibration. Never heard THAT before. What the crap? Pulled into the spot slowly and fiancee said, "what was that sound?!"

Did I grenade my clutch? Did I catch the clutch off guard with engine and trans speed in reverse somehow and it spun crazily? Did a bearing explode?

After the meeting, which went well, and I was a lot calmer (she has a way of calming me down with her sweetness), I drove nice and easy and everything worked well. Every gear shift, every gear. Hmm, trans seems fine, clutch works. (What was that?)

Now over the 20 years I've had this truck, there have been hard trips towing, off-roading, flying off at a green light, etc. Never have I heard that sound though.

Anyway, this is half a rant about myself and half a question. Any insight is helpful but I think the truck is fine. She has to get me to MN and back in a month so hopefully she's up to it. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Ramman18; 08-03-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Check the trans and engine mounts.

Yep. Had days like that. Decided it would be best if I did not go out in public, so, just stay home and play some fallout. Take out my aggressions on little bits of code, that explode nicely.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:59 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Yeah, normally I'd get a good workout in but can't do that due to the shamdemic and can't shoot guns cause there's no ammo. I haven't played video games since I was a kid!

The mounts all look fine still. They were all replaced about five years ago. Nothing unusual underneath.

I'm thinking the speed of reverse with quickly disengaging the clutch and slamming on the brakes made the clutch spin wildly since it isn't used to going that fast in reverse.

Or something like that. . . .

Old 08-03-2021, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Trans mounts may look good, but, aren't. Push up on the back of the trans/t-case, and see if the mount separates.

But yeah, could just be circumstances there.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:33 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are spun because your intellect was bested by some small pieces of wood, then Uber might be a good option.

The following users liked this post:
Ramman18 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:25 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
If you are spun because your intellect was bested by some small pieces of wood, then Uber might be a good option.
Personally, I don't get angry easy or often, but I have had days like ramman and I would not put an uber driver through that.

The following 2 users liked this post by adukart:
MoparFanatic21 (08-03-2021), Ramman18 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 01:11 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
Hahaha, clearly you didn't read the whole post!

And someone else driving me around would have put me over the edge. But thanks for the useless advice anyway!

Old 08-04-2021, 01:14 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Trans mounts may look good, but, aren't. Push up on the back of the trans/t-case, and see if the mount separates.

But yeah, could just be circumstances there.
Yeah, everything's tight down there still. I did both engine and tranny mounts about 3 or 4 years ago. And I don't see how a mount would make the spinning sensation. The engine or trans must've transferred enough power to the clutch so, when I disengaged it, it spun wildly until the engine calmed down.

Drove it to work twice today. Drove normal. Drove fine. Must've been a fluke. Anyway, hope somebody had a good laugh at my expense.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:33 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yeah, everything's tight down there still. I did both engine and tranny mounts about 3 or 4 years ago. And I don't see how a mount would make the spinning sensation. The engine or trans must've transferred enough power to the clutch so, when I disengaged it, it spun wildly until the engine calmed down.

Drove it to work twice today. Drove normal. Drove fine. Must've been a fluke. Anyway, hope somebody had a good laugh at my expense.
I had my truck yesterday just do nothing yesterday when I went to hit the gas to pass when I downshifting so maybe it was aliens...

Old 08-04-2021, 10:30 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Yup.

Quick Reply: It was one of those days - don't drive angry