2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9l Tapping noise with Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 PM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.9l Tapping noise with Video

My 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l Magnum has started to make a bit of a tapping noise when revved and warm. Only seems to do it when warm. It's also not very consistent. One time it will do it. The next time I rev it to the same spot, it may not. This truck is new to me so I am not sure if its been doing this or not. Also, I don't hear it when driving at all. Only when I pop the hood and rev it. It's definitely a tapping noise and it sounds like its from the passenger side. As a side note one of my pulleys is noisy. The fact it's not very consistent makes me think maybe a loose rocker arm? It's got 203k miles and seems to run strong. Oil pressure is great. Sitting no lower then like 30-35 hot.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TEndLnTh240?feature=share

Old 09-03-2021, 11:18 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by BClark_35
My 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l Magnum has started to make a bit of a tapping noise when revved and warm. Only seems to do it when warm. It's also not very consistent. One time it will do it. The next time I rev it to the same spot, it may not. This truck is new to me so I am not sure if its been doing this or not. Also, I don't hear it when driving at all. Only when I pop the hood and rev it. It's definitely a tapping noise and it sounds like its from the passenger side. As a side note one of my pulleys is noisy. The fact it's not very consistent makes me think maybe a loose rocker arm? It's got 203k miles and seems to run strong. Oil pressure is great. Sitting no lower then like 30-35 hot.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TEndLnTh240?feature=share
nothing?

Old 09-04-2021, 03:22 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like exhaust leak or maybe something rattling can't really hear with the fan spinning

Old 09-04-2021, 04:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

I could hear it at the end, But can't really say if it's a lifter.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:18 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
the part that's strange to me is it doesn't always even do it. I'm hoping its an exhaust leak. One thing I am pretty positive of is it only does it when warm. Can't hear it when driving.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:41 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Let's say it does come down to be a lifter. Would I be able to replace all the lifters or would that mess up the cam? I read where it would mess up a flat tappet came, but should be safe on the cam used in a magnum. Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2021, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Replacing lifters is fairly easy, just tedious. (gotta dig fairly deep to get to 'em.) It's a roller cam, so, just be generous with the break-in lube on assembly, and you should be fine.

The following users liked this post:
ooga (09-07-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 09:52 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replacing lifters is fairly easy, just tedious. (gotta dig fairly deep to get to 'em.) It's a roller cam, so, just be generous with the break-in lube on assembly, and you should be fine.
From what I can see I can do it without taking the heads off? Obviously not as easy but I saw a video of a guy doing it. I am kinda stumped with the noise. Seems like a top end noise but doesn't do it all the time. Could it possibly be a rocker arm that's loose? Or maybe it's a lifter that can't stay pumped up when the oil is thinner. Idk

Old 09-04-2021, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Get a mechanics stethoscope, see if you can localize the noise. Lifters and exhaust leaks sound VERY similar. Sometimes, if you look at night, you can SEE an exhaust leak.... Worth a shot.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:09 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Get a mechanics stethoscope, see if you can localize the noise. Lifters and exhaust leaks sound VERY similar. Sometimes, if you look at night, you can SEE an exhaust leak.... Worth a shot.
Yea that's what I'll plan on doing at some point. I had a Jeep 4.0l that had noisy lifters for over probably 30k miles. Still ran strong when sold. But that only made noise at idle. Is it normal for lifters to make some racket when revved? Also the engine has 203k miles and I'm not sure if the timing chain has ever been replaced...Truck is new to me.

Quick Reply: 5.9l Tapping noise with Video