2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9l Tapping noise with Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 04:56 PM
Rambo360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The PCM has no real way to tell if the data its getting from the O2's is correct or not. So long as the heater circuits are working, and the PCM sees voltage from the sensor switching hi/lo, it believes everything is good. Trouble is, while it LOOKS like it is working properly, the sensor could be misreading the exhaust, giving bad data to the PCM, and the PCM adjusts injector pulse width according to that bad data. That can give you a rich, or lean condition, (depending on which way it errors) and the engine just won't run right. Easy test is to unplug the front O2 sensor(s), (how many you have depends on year, and federal or cali emissions.) and go for a drive, if it runs better, replace the sensors.
That makes sense. Thanks for the info! One more question about the o2 sensors.. i noticed 3 different pigtail lengths available. Without crawling under, is there a definite way to tell which i should order? There is a 12", 16.5" and 18". I know to stay away from Bosch, but other than that I'm not sure which two to get. I read that both sensors (pre/post cat) are the same. I have the 99 extended cab 2wd with a 5.9 Magnum. It's not the California emissions model.

Thanks again

Old 12-03-2023, 05:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

You want NTK or Denso sensors, they were OEM. As for which ones.... gonna have to crawl under, look, and measure. Have a look at the connectors as well, as there are differences there too. (square vs. round?) Rear O2 sensor only monitors the cat, so, if you aren't getting a code for that one, leave it. (save the money for something else.)

Quick Reply: 5.9l Tapping noise with Video