2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won’t start after warmed up. ASD relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 08:03 PM
Rich427
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won’t start after warmed up. ASD relay

Hi everyone, i just got a 2001 ram 1500 318 Friday night. It’s in decent shape for New England not a lot of rust. When I looked it over before buying we had it running for a long time. I shut it off and then it didn’t want to start until I played around with some stuff under the hood. I scanned it today and it had a code p1389 for the ASD. Im guessing it’s related?

today while it was cold I started it and shut it off 4 or 5 times and it started right up fine. I looked at the ASD relay and it has already been changed so this must have already been a problem. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 08-16-2021, 06:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

P1389 No ASD Relay Output Voltage at PCM
You are going to need to wait until it doesn't want to start to see what the issue is. Is the relay not engaging or no output voltage.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:15 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

A little more detail: The PCM controls the relay via one pin and then uses another pin to check if the relay got engaged/power is supplied to the components hanging off the ASD relay, e.g. fuel injectors and the coil. When the no-start happens, check if the relay gets activated (power on pin 86, pin 85 grounded by PCM), and if there is power on pin 30 (from battery) and 87 (switched by relay).

Old 08-17-2021, 05:47 PM
Rich427

Originally Posted by DerTruck
A little more detail: The PCM controls the relay via one pin and then uses another pin to check if the relay got engaged/power is supplied to the components hanging off the ASD relay, e.g. fuel injectors and the coil. When the no-start happens, check if the relay gets activated (power on pin 86, pin 85 grounded by PCM), and if there is power on pin 30 (from battery) and 87 (switched by relay).
Ok so today what I noticed is that when it won’t start, if I take the key out of ignition and put it back in it will fire right up. Tried it several times and didnt fail once but as soon as you shut off and leave key in and try to start it will just crank. Does this mean it’s ignition related?. It is also throwing a P0601 code. Thanks

Old 08-18-2021, 06:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

P0601 is a memory error in the PCM. Generally implies it's time for a new one.

What color is your key??

Old 08-18-2021, 08:23 AM
Rich427

Originally Posted by HeyYou
P0601 is a memory error in the PCM. Generally implies it's time for a new one.

What color is your key??
I have two original keys with Chrysler star. black

I also noticed the battery cables are extremely loose fitting and previous owner drove a small screw between the clamp and the positive batt post to try and tighten it up and it’s still loose. Think this could be causing a problem?

Last edited by Rich427; 08-18-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:01 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich427
I have two original keys with Chrysler star. black

I also noticed the battery cables are extremely loose fitting and previous owner drove a small screw between the clamp and the batt post and it’s still loose. Think this could be causing a problem?
Absolutley, Occam's razor applies to trucks too . Start with the obvious stuff, power and ground wiring.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:03 PM
Rich427

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Absolutley, Occam's razor applies to trucks too . Start with the obvious stuff, power and ground wiring.
Ok I finally got a chance to look at the truck today… both of the battery cables were extremely loose. The little felt washers were not allowing the connection To slide far enough down on the terminals. They are nice and tight and clean now.

I was still able to replicate the problem. The truck started fine but once warmed up and shut off it would not start again until the key was removed and then put back into the ignition….

I swapped out the ASD relay which was an aftermarket one with a correct one and I could not replicate the problem any more and the check engine light went out. I started the truck had to be at least 20 times and couldn’t get it to do it again even after letting it get good and hot.

Maybe problem fixed with simple relay swap?

Quick Reply: Truck won’t start after warmed up. ASD relay