2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re transmission no forward gears, only reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 11:22 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by duckdodgerz
I just dropped the pan. I went back and doublechecked the model number of the swapped transmission, and it is a 52119845aa. Google indicates that it came out of a 2001 ram 2500. The seller told me the truck had a 360. Sanity check, should this still be compatible with a 2001 ram 1500 with a 318?

I also noticed that this swapped pan has a magnet, and the original transmission doesn't.
Yes and every pan should have a magnet

Old 09-06-2021, 12:28 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx MoparFanatic21 for the info. I dropped the pan of both transmissions. One doesn't look 100% like the other.

It looks like whomever did this transmission rebuild bubba-ed it a little. The governor plate is different and the harness to the solenoid has been replace/crimped.

A different connector was crimped for the solenoid

Retention plate is different

The is the governor assembly and retention plate from the original transmission

Old 09-06-2021, 12:51 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

can this retrofit be causing no OD? I'm thinking about swapping the harness to a correct 2001 along with the proper sensor/solenoid and retaining plate.

Any other thoughts?

Old 09-06-2021, 03:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

can this retrofit be causing no OD? I'm thinking about swapping the harness to a correct 2001 along with the proper sensor/solenoid and retaining plate.

Any other thoughts?
If the harness and sensors are not correct for your year that could cause issues. Losing a whole gear I'm not sure. Unplug the 8 pin connector and see if it works. If it does its an electronics issue, if you still don't have reverse its a mechanical issue. You can thank HeyYou for that tip I can't take the credit

Old 09-06-2021, 06:16 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

Dang, it finally works!

I cut off the odd pressure sensor connector, and crimped the correct 2001 connector along with the correct pressure sensor. My guess is this thing was either in a 99 or older ram, or a 00-01 ram with 99 PCM.

To recap, this OD failure to engage was resolved by attaching the correct pressure sensor. The one that wasn't working was reading 1k ohms and the one that is working(came out of the original tranny) reads 2k. I did buy a new solenoid and sensor, tested the resistance on the new one and it also read 2k ohms.

The solenoid that is in the working transmission is much more "meaty" than the one I bought new, so I just left it in there.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Dang, it finally works!

I cut off the odd pressure sensor connector, and crimped the correct 2001 connector along with the correct pressure sensor. My guess is this thing was either in a 99 or older ram, or a 00-01 ram with 99 PCM.

To recap, this OD failure to engage was resolved by attaching the correct pressure sensor. The one that wasn't working was reading 1k ohms and the one that is working(came out of the original tranny) reads 2k. I did buy a new solenoid and sensor, tested the resistance on the new one and it also read 2k ohms.

The solenoid that is in the working transmission is much more "meaty" than the one I bought new, so I just left it in there.
Glad you got it fixed!

Quick Reply: 46re transmission no forward gears, only reverse